1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Strike outcome?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Milgod, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

Just a question (another one) about the strike. Trying to see what people expect will happen as a result of the strike.

2. Milgod

Just a question (another one) about the strike. Trying to see what people expect will happen as a result of the strike.

3. Very good question.

4. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

I expect we will lose a days pay and yet still watch the changes forced through. In all honesty I cannot see anything changing, however I still feel the need to strike in order to register my feelings.

5. Milgod

I think you may be right, unfortunately.

6. Personally, I would like to see a cap on the pensionable salary. Don't know how that would work in practise though.

7. Don't actually think it will have much effect but will at least be pleased that I stood up for the principle......

8. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

A very few peoole will lose a day's pay.

9. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

peoole clearly is the French Wine word for PEOPLE..

10. I will be striking as I think some people will benefit from it if they are retiring in the next few years however in the long run I will be opting out of pension to find investments!
    We cannot prolong this for 35 years until I retire

11. Milgod

That's good but what do you actually think will happen? Do you think the strike will make the government change their minds?

12. Milgod

Just thought I would raise this as people still seem to be arguing about whether to strike or not.

Have you thought about what you think will actually happen? Do you think the strike will have any positive impact on the government's thoughts?

13. I agree with RegencyRob - although I will stay in the pension scheme, I do think we will have to make our own financial arrangements.

14. Milgod

So you think the actual strike will work and the government will back down?

15. @ Milgod - no I don't think the strike will work, because with the best will in the world, I don't think the government have the funds to continue with the pension scheme as it is.

The government may make some concessions, but the effect will be by degree. We will still have to work longer, possibly pay more and receive less.

I believe that we will have to start taking more control of our own financial futures: be that stocks and shares, as regencyrob suggested or any other means of generating income.

16. Milgod

I think you're right. As I said on another thread I've already started selling my body every weeknight apart from Thursday (pub quiz night you see).

I just wish I owned my own home, or was anywhere near being able to buy one. I'll be late 30s before I can buy. Would be great to have it all paid off before I retired.

17. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

The strikes in the 80's had an effect.

18. @ inkyp - what were the strikes about in the 80s?

19. Milgod

So you think this one will now? They are very different circumstances.

20. @ Milgod - on the brightside.....you have youth on your side and that is a HUGE bonus in terms of investment.