1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Strike: membership of three conflicting unions

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by minnieminx, Jun 16, 2011.

1. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

It is not unlawful for you to ignore the strike, you need to take what action you feel is right. You are a member of striking unions so can strike if you wish. You are also a member of a non-striking union so can choose not to should you so wish.

It is entirely your own decision.

2. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

You're a student, not a teacher.
    You're not a member of the pension scheme, you are not putting any "work" into the system (as a PGCE student, you're not an employee and cannot take a class on your own).
    You cannot be used to cover classes.
    I suggest you find out what others in the department and school are likely to do. If you turn up when everyone else is on strike, you'll just be in the way. If everyone else turns up and you don't, what will your "strike" possibly achieve as everything in the school will carry on without you?

3. I may not be the best qualified person to answer this but I've just had a look at the NUT website and it states that only people employed as a teacher and eligible for the Teachers Pension Scheme should strike. As you are still a student this suggests the strike does not apply to you.
    Your best bet is probably to speak to your placement school and find out whether they want you in on that day or not. Also speak to your University and find out what they suggest as I'm guessing all your course mates are in the same position.

4. Actually, the best person to speak to would be your trade union representative in your school. It could be that striking in solidarity means more than you think! Your school management will not know how many staff will strike until the day because law doesn't require workers to inform management of strike. So chances are they'll be playing it by ear.

Strikes are meant to be about solidarity - since very soon the issues will be affecting you, I would say strike. But from a legal perspective consult your trade union(s!).

I would agree that it is a decision you have to make, you can stand with NUT and ATL colleagues or with NASUWT (who are yet to ballot, but probably will vote in favour of strike anyway). The choice is yours!

5. I was wondering whether strikes will apply to students earlier at a staff meeting about them. The strike wouldn't apply to me anyway, as my final placement finishes prior to the proposed action. However, whilst students are currently not being paid or contributing to the pension scheme, we all will be from September so we will be impacted by the hikes. I'd be interested in finding out what the verdict is, so please keep us posted!

6. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

I guess you could, as students, recognise this as a learning experience.
    Go on strike. See who cares. (i.e. no one.)
    How do you feel about that?