1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Strike info

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Houstonwehaveaproblem, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Hi
    I am after some info and advice about the upcoming strike on the 30th Nov. I dont want to strike this time (did last time) as I am about to go on Mat leave and cant afford the knock on effects of my pay being less. However, my school is going to be shut. Where does that leave me? I cant go into work as there will be noone to open it up. There are other staff in the same dilemma, in different unions. I'm with the NUT. Also, do I HAVE to strike because I am a member of NUT and they have decided to strike? This is what our SMT are saying and I'm pretty sure its not true...
    Any advice appreciated.

Houston

2. coppull

coppull New commenter

No going on strike does effect your maternity benefits.
    Have you spoken to the NUT Regional Office ?
    You inform your HT that you are available for work on that day.
    No you do not have to go on strike,but clearly this government has ensured you are on a pay freeze for two,years, and your pensions contributions will going up from 6.4% to 9.6%.Can you afford these pension increases ? You will be working to 66, 67 and 68 before you can draw your TP.Mr Gove intends make sure that there will be no national pay and conditions for teachers over the next couple of years. No further comment necessary.

Perhaps you would like to give a large donation to the NUT strike fund if you do not go out on strike.[​IMG]

3. You do not have to strike if you are an NUT member although most school based reps will suggest you find another union if you choose not to without good reason. That said, imminent maternity and retirement count as legitimate reasons for not striking and if you speak to your school rep they will back that up. You have 2 options, not to strike and to keep the pay or not to strike and donate your day's pay to the union hardship fund. If you don't strike then you must show your headteacher that you are available for work which means different things to different headteachers. Some will make you make the journey into work and sign in even if it's only in the car park (we had to do that 2 days running when the unison strike closed our school), others will be happy with an email.
    Hope this helps!

4. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

I'm sure you don't have to strike if you don't want to (though you might want to rethink your choice of union!).
    I'm sure the HT has to arrange a way of you and other non-strikers notifying him on the day that you are 'available to work'. If the school building is closed, you may have to physically meet somewhere for this or it may be possible to do by phone.
    (By the way, I appreciate you not wanting to affect your pay because of your mat leave, but I would point out, very gently, that the pension changes proposed will have a much greater effect on your pay/career long term if they go through)

5. Cheers for the replies, I am planning on donating my days salary to the union hardship fund, I just cannot afford to take a cut on my mat pay, despite the pension and pay difficulties up ahead. I realise thats not particularly forward thinking, but unfortunately I need to think about this year right now. Will maybe call NUT and see what they say so I have something to say to headteacher about it. Are you striking Kritur or will you be on mat by then?

6. I am on maternity leave by then so it doesn't apply to me. I have 9 days left at work and counting.......
    Let your school based rep know what you are doing, they will support you. At the last strike we had 3 members of staff who did not strike without letting the rep know (and without what was seen as a valid reason). It was suggested they find another union whose vlaues were more agreeable. Our rep supported some members of staff who went in because they were due to retire or go on mat leave.

7. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

have also posted this on the other thread re: strike/mat pay.
    This was the NUT advice last time:

Normal

false
    false
    false

EN-GB
    X-NONE
    X-NONE

MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) }

/* Style Definitions */
    table.MsoNormalTable
    {mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
    mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
    mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
    mso-style-noshow:yes;
    mso-style-priority:99;
    mso-style-qformat:yes;
    mso-style-parent:"";
    mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
    mso-para-margin:0cm;
    mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
    mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
    font-size:11.0pt;
    font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
    mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;
    mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;
    mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";
    mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast;
    mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;
    mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;
    mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";
    mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;}

Maternity
    Leave and Pay

I will be taking
    maternity leave later this year. If I go on strike, will there be any
    impact on my entitlement to maternity leave and pay?

Most
    pregnant teachers will be able to join the strike with no impact on their
    maternity entitlements. Your continuity of employment isn’t broken by taking
    strike action. The week of the action will not be included in your total length
    of service for the purpose of the qualifying period but this will not affect
    the vast majority of pregnant teachers.

Statutory Maternity
    Leave and Pay

For
    any week or part of a week a woman takes part in strike action, her continuous
    service is not broken but that week will not count in the computation of her
    period of employment for the purposes of qualifying for SMP. If a teacher does
    not have 6 months' continuous service by the end of the 14th week
    before the beginning of her EWC, she will not be entitled to SMP. One day of
    strike action will reduce a teacher's continuous service for the purposes of
    qualifying for SMP by one week. If taking strike action will reduce a woman's
    continuous service to only 5 months and 3 weeks by the end of the 14th
    week before the beginning of her EWC, she should not take action.

To
    qualify for SMP, a woman's average weekly earnings must be not less than the
    lower earnings limit of £102.00 over the 8 weeks ending with the 14th
    week before the beginning of her EWC. Only teachers working a small fraction of
    full time whose average pay would fall below £102.00 for the 8 week period would
    not qualify for SMP.

Maternity Allowance

To
    qualify for MA a woman must have worked and paid full NI contributions for at
    least 26 of the 66 weeks before the week in which the baby is due (part weeks
    will suffice). If by going on strike a woman will only have worked 25 weeks of
    the 66 weeks before the EWC, then she should not take action.

Occupational Maternity
    leave and Pay

The
    service qualification for occupational maternity pay under the Burgundy Book is
    calculated in accordance with the Employment Rights Act 1996. Under section 216, where for any week or part
    of a week a woman takes part in strike action, her continuous service is not
    broken but that week will not count in the computation of her period of
    employment for the purposes of qualifying for OMP.

If
    a teacher does not have 1 year's service by the end of the 11th week
    before the beginning of her EWC, she will not be entitled to OMP. One day of strike action will reduce a
    teacher's continuous service for these purposes by one week. If taking strike
    action will reduce a woman's continuous service to only 11 months and 3 weeks
    by the end of the 11th week before the beginning of her EWC, she
    should not take action.

Teachers who take strike
    action immediately before starting maternity leave

When
    a teacher takes strike action, her salary will be reduced by 1/365th
    for each day that she is on strike. If she takes strike action immediately
    before going on maternity leave, the employer may base her OMP on the reduced
    salary calculated in accordance with paragraph 10.1 of the Burgundy Book
    maternity scheme. Also, if there are
    significant variations in her salary, then if she takes strike action during
    the 12 week period immediately before going on maternity leave, again, the
    employer may base her OMP on the reduced salary. Teachers should therefore be aware that there
    is a risk that an employer may seek to base their OMP on their reduced salary. The Union
    would of course support members threatened with this action.

8. Thanks for that strawbs, think I better ring union! All sounded quite good for striking till last section!
    Houston

9. You do NOT have to strike. Simply tell your head that you are not striking and your pay will remain as normal. You cannot be made to strike, contrary to the pushy views of many on these forums (mostly lefties).

10. Very sad that people feel so pressured to strike in line with colleagues. Break the mould, all, be a scab like me. Be a scab and proud of it. Onwards with the pension reforms! (The government are perfectly correct to be making these decisions.)

11. This is one of the pushy lefties. Ignore this, if you don't want to strike, don't do it. And find out exactly why the gov wants to make the changes. There are very good reasons, for example in the future poor teachers coming into the profession will only receive pennies if we stay not the same course we are on now. THERE IS NO MONEY LEFT!! Be responsible, don't strike.

12. YesMrBronson

YesMrBronson New commenter

You obviously do not understand what this phrase means. Look it up before you embarrass yourself by misusing it again.
    Your posts this week have been laughable.

13. YesMrBronson

Pushy? Hmm, let's read her post again:
    Goodness, that's soooooo "pushy". [​IMG]

14. ROSIEGIRL

Thank you Walnuthead - you've ensured I started my day with a smile!
    (And thank you even more YMB!)

15. break the mould
    UK (US break the mold)
    Cambridge dictionary.

Houstonwehaveaproblem, don't take any notice of MrB because we are online arch enemies and he is just out to make me look silly... :) You do not have to strike. Stand tall, do what you think is right, not what your union tells you.

16. ROSIEGIRL

Walnuhead - you need no help from Mr B.
    Plus we are in agreement - the OP should indeed do what she thinks is right - all I suggested was that she makes sure she is aware of all the issues and implications in this matter. Interpretation of those issues is purely personal.
    Each to their own.

17. Oh dear, I didnt mean to cause such a problem! Thank you for the different perspectives, much appreciated. I definitely wont be striking, and definitely dont have to either :) there are a few people from various unions not striking at my school, for lots of different reasons. I think a few are disillusioned from the last strike and dont feel it got us anywhere. I'm never sure about striking, I'm not sure what it achieves anyway. But thats just my opinion I dont want to start an argument!!

18. YesMrBronson

Facepalm.
    It wasn't the spelling you had wrong it was the meaning of 'break the mould' (or mold if you prefer). You obviously don't know what that phrase means or you'd know how to use it.
    Still, that's par for the course.*

*Wonders if walnutbrain knows what that phrase means.

Delusions of grandeur.

19. Twit. (Or something with most of those letters in it.)