1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Strike for Climate: Has your school made contingency plans?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by RebellingforLife, Jan 3, 2019.

1. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Senior commenter

Probably because some of these "stupid people" share your position of;
    PS - I would argue that building on flood plains, use of potable water and desertification are effects of global warming not causes but I fear that may be lost.

2. Schifoan

Schifoan New commenter

I can't help but think that the title of this thread is somewhat leading.

3. RebellingforLife

RebellingforLife New commenter

4. RebellingforLife

Apologies, I digressed trying to persuade people that climate change was a thing and the action being taken by young people ought to be taken seriously.

Back to the school strike and here's action some from today; 22000 in Switzerland, 25000 in Germany and others across the world. It's growing.

5. Christopher  Curtis

Christopher Curtis Occasional commenter

Mrsmumbles,

I can’t comment because I not seen the show, which I take it is what “School” is.

6. RebellingforLife

7. RebellingforLife

8. RebellingforLife

Tens of thousands strike in Europe yesterday and today.

Strike action will be taking place in at least 27 UK cities next Friday.

[​IMG]

9. RebellingforLife

10. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

NAHT have said nothing of the sort. That's just media spin. The only source is the Sunday Express today and the anonymous NAHT spokesman they quote says nothing about encouraging students to down pens and get out and protest. Read it.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019 at 4:29 PM
    strawbs and colpee like this.
  11. RebellingforLife

"When you get older pupils making an informed decision, that kind of thing needs to be applauded. Society makes leaps forward when people are prepared to take action. Schools encourage students to develop a wider understanding of the world around them. A day of activity like this could be an important and valuable life experience."

It's not an explicit statement but a semantic discussion of the above would be pointless. We can be assured that the inference drawn by the majority is that students taking action have the backing of NAHT

Demonstrations are now planned at 38 locations on Friday.

12. Rott Weiler

It would be pointless, as it clearly doesn't says it's....

"We"? Which "we"? You mean you? I doubt many heads will assume that, not least because it doesn't appear on NAHT website as guidance nor (according to an NAHT head friend of mine) has there been an NAHT mailing to members with this so-called "guidance". NAHT doesn't usually give guidance to its members via the front page of the Sunday Express.

strawbs likes this.
  13. Rott Weiler

According to the Guardian today NAHT have clarified that they are not supporting pupils "going on strike" on Friday, saying "There is no reason why a young person's desire to get involved in social issues should get in the way of their schooling".

So no guidance to heads to encourage or allow pupils to strike then.

strawbs and border_walker like this.
  14. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

I can see where this is coming from but climate change is now much more than a social issue. You could make a good case that missing a day or two of school pales in comparison to the dangers we are facing.

I fully understand that schools cannot officially sanction such action, but I see it as part of the whole whereby people are realising just what a predicament we are in and just how urgent it is for action to be taken. For those in the older age brackets it seems hard to grasp just what a mess we are in. Business as usual is no longer an option and our young people are realising that point more deeply than the rest of us are. They don't see anyone really listening, nor any meaningful change happening, so what is there left to do?

Maths_Shed likes this.
  15. p1j39

p1j39 New commenter

I wonder how many striking students this Friday will be jetting off on polluting planes for a holiday on the Saturday.

16. Maths_Shed

Maths_Shed Occasional commenter

They may be, but
    1. the holiday would probably have been booked before the IPCC report in October
    2. as children they would probably have had no say in the matter
    3. we're probably screwed anyway but unless governments get behind the changes required we're definitely screwed.
    4. governments and adults, educated and otherwise, are failing to take this seriously and children are having to take this issue into their own hands to try and force themselves to listen.
    Put simply, if you believed that your students, your children and maybe you faced the possibilty of death from starvation or violence in the next few decades, what would your reponse be?

Scintillant likes this.
  17. drek

drek Lead commenter

I’m all for it but on the flip side is it a case of We don’t know what we want but we want it now?
    Policies may lead to a complete overhaul of standards of living that most teens completely take for granted.
    Take away the main source of their comfortable existences and how many will be ready for it?
    Fines for every little energy waste misdemeanour (some might recall how councils took speed limits and car parking fines to ridiculous levels to rake in extra cash whilst doing eff all to ease traffic congestion)
    How many adults get up an hour earlier than necessary to do a 20 minute drive to work these days?
    Imagine if schools were open all summer with longer winter hols to escape escalating energy costs?
    Imagine if throwing litter on the floor right next to bins resulted in hundreds of pounds of fines......
    ask students to imagine a world without electricity and packaging, food and electricity on demand, cheap travel concessions and flights......and they can barely come up with any ideas.......
    So good luck to those who seek changes but are they willing to make the sacrifices it will demand of everyone?
    Or will be a case of them and us as in the 10 percent extremely wealthy for whom nothing will change all that much except handing out lower wages to their ‘people’ to make up any deficits and the us as in the rest of the nation.....

border_walker likes this.
  18. border_walker

border_walker Established commenter

Or walk to school

19. nomad

nomad Star commenter

What plans need to be made?

A bunch of kids fail to turn up at school on Friday?

So what???

Mark them 'N' on the register and get on with the day.

Who gives a monkey's toss? I certainly don't!

20. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Occasional commenter

If a student feels mature and informed enough to protest, then they will need to be mature enough to accept any negative consequences due.