1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Strike for Climate: Has your school made contingency plans?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by RebellingforLife, Jan 3, 2019.

1. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Lead commenter

How is striking going to help?

border_walker likes this.
  2. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

The IPCC were highlighting the likely effects on mental health way back in 2001 in their Third Assessment Report

There is now a large and growing body of scientific literature addressing the effects of climate change.on mental health.

It is easy to ignore or decry. As climate change itself has been, but it will be a problem. We may have bigger problems by then though.

3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Well I've just gone through the whole of that report and nowhere does it say that a generation of young people will suffer a mental health crisis from not being able to cope with change, nor that their parents will be unable to support them because they too will be suffering mental health breakdowns, nor that schools need to take on the responsibility for dealing with it. Nothing remotely like that. You are right though, it is easy to decry that sort of alarmist nonsense.

I have rather more faith in the resilience of our young people and their ability to deal with change than it seems you and OP do.

4. Scintillant

Yes. Scientific reports tend not to be written in such terms. Part of the reason why past reports were not taken seriously enough.

Perhaps you are less well-versed in the coming effects of climate change? Adults are already very good at passing on stress to children in a classroom over nothing more important than grades and we are seeing a large increase in mental health issues as a result. Wait til people really get a handle on what's coming.

5. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Senior commenter

If the students were genuinely doing this, I would say good luck to them. They are going to need this planet longer than us. An entire shut down of the education system one day a week? If only teachers had the b all’s to do that.

But I don’t see it happening.

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  6. RebellingforLife

RebellingforLife New commenter

My posts are being checked by moderators at the moment, which is fine but does mean that my answers to the points you are making don't appear for some time. I answered these points in post #13.

7. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

They're striking against the only part of authority (government) that ever seems to notice what they do if they stick to the straight and narrow.

Scintillant likes this.
  8. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Lead commenter

Presumably said students walk or cycle everywhere, wear their clothes until they fall to bits and eschew meat and heated homes. Being idealistic is all well and good, and easy and exciting. Living those principals is a lot more tedious.

9. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Climate change?
    Therein lies the problem. Brexit is small fry compared to the consequences of climate change. But like Brexit, the devastating effects of climate change will affect the young more than the old, so most prefer to pretend it's not happening. We are wrecking the planet for future generarions and now they've started challenge us on it, we prefer to mock them condescendingly rather than looking for solutions which might mean sacrifices for or own lifestyles.

phlogiston and JohnJCazorla like this.
  10. Timothy_Blue

Timothy_Blue Lead commenter

Doomed! I thought drama was out of fashion with OFSTED.

11. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

What are these children doing with their self awarded Fridays off?

if they are getting up early and organising themselves to demonstrate outside local government buildings every week then I would be prepared to quietly arrange a couple of hours a week before or after school to catch them up on what they have missed.

Is that what they are doing?

12. Timothy_Blue

Fortnite I believe.

13. Maths_Shed

Maths_Shed Occasional commenter

Yes, they are sitting outside national or local government buildings and encouraging others to do likewise.

Greta Thunberg has spent every Friday outside the Swedish Parliament for the last few months.
    Elsie Luna in Germany
    Dusseldorf, Winnipeg, Boston, etc

There are also teachers in Milan taking action.

yasf likes this.
  14. Maths_Shed

Maths_Shed Occasional commenter

@Rott Weiler, should you or anyone else wish to read up on what is coming I can highly recommend the paper on Deep Adaption by Jem Bendell it's not comfortable reading, in fact it's pretty disturbing.

There is also a blog http://deepadaptation.info/ which expands on the original paper.

15. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

It's not "what is coming" it's one person's opinion that, amongst other things, we will soon be killing each other to avoid starving to death. It's a point of view but not one shared by mainstream scientists. But even Bendell doesn't claim that that a whole generation of young people will be tipped over the edge into a mental health crisis when confronted by social change. Which is the subject of this thread.

border_walker, Sir_Henry and woollani like this.
  16. RebellingforLife

RebellingforLife New commenter

I answered this earlier. There is a huge amount of work predicting that mental health will be a massive problem and evidence to indicate it has already started.

17. Timothy_Blue

Indeed, bordering on pseudo-science and alarmist fiction.

18. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

The reports that do discuss mental health issues and climate change, these are secondary to more significant worries such as famine, natural disasters etc.

19. Timothy_Blue

Population!

border_walker likes this.
  20. Scintillant

Sorry, more facts.