1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Strike for Climate: Has your school made contingency plans?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by RebellingforLife, Jan 3, 2019.

1. RebellingforLife

RebellingforLife New commenter

If you aren't aware there is a growing movement where students are striking from school on Friday at government inaction on climate change. In November 15000 students walked out of classrooms in Australia and increasing awareness means that action across the UK will be inevitable. Here is a link to Greta Thunberg explaining why she started the strike. Her Twitter following has gone from zero to 80k in six months, of which something like 40k became followers in the last month so the message is getting heard wider and wider. There are a number of other videos to watch on her Twitter page, she was invited to address the COP 24 summit in Katowice and has done a TED talk.

Obviously schools will be concerned at their results but if action is taken in every school then all schools performance will suffer. But as Greta says, what we are teaching them is pointless and we are not preparing them for the future that lies ahead of them. Will your school be supporting those students who are brave enough to stand up and take direct action or are disciplinary procedures likely to be the result?

2. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Bless:rolleyes:

A free day off on a Friday - and a lovely ‘saving the world’ excuse? I would have signed up to anything for that opportunity at school age - as will a good many these days:cool:

3. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

well, I'm over 50. and was doing this at 8 or 9, so its not a new thing, or a growing thing, or something schools can't cope with pretty effectively with their normal procedures, no "contingency plans" required.

border_walker likes this.
  4. RebellingforLife

OK, a different question. If the government puts in measures in accordance with IPCC recommendations we won't be using petrol or diesel in ten years time. How can staff and students get to school?

FrankWolley likes this.
  5. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

A worthy campaign to be sure, but so are many others. But how exactly does children bunking off school every Friday (which is what Greta Thunberg is advocating) help secure UK government commitment to meeting the Paris agreement targets? Or is it just because she's young blonde and Swedish? Not a lot of ethnic or cultural diversity in evidence here.

She seems to know f. all about the UK's position on climate change and the Paris accord.

Which specific actions do you and Greta think the UK should take?

In answer to your thread title, no we haven't made contingency plans, and I'm confident that our pupils will not be walking out every Friday, and if they do disciplinary action would probably follow.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  6. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

I can't see any school being able to put this down as an authorised absence. In which case there could be a number of fines issued by Local Authorities to parents.

I do think it's an important cause, however if all those children modified their own lives, and influenced their families to do the same, to reduce their own impact on climate change that may be more effective.

7. RebellingforLife

It's not an issue that we can solve on our own, it's a worldwide problem and we have very little time to stop it. We could completely stop all use of fossil fuels, trash our economy in the process and we would still be dependent on what the rest of the world is doing.

There is going to be a lot of pain whatever we do or don't do but surely we should do what we can?

What Greta Thunberg is asking for is all governments to take action to ensure that global temperatures remain no more than 1.5°C above pre industrial levels. To achieve that world carbon emissions from fossil fuel use needs to be net zero by 2045, as a developed nation we need to be at that point in seven years time. No petrol, no diesel, no coal and no gas.

This is an existential crisis we are facing and the role of schools will be massively important yet it seems to be the elephant in the room.

8. Christopher  Curtis

Christopher Curtis Occasional commenter

RebellingforLife,

I’m in Australia. If your figures are correct, 3,834,225 students did not strike for climate change action. That’s 99.6 per cent of Australia’s 3,849,225 students. My advice to students who want to do something about climate change is to complete their education and become scientists, journalists or even politicians.

neddyfonk, blazer and border_walker like this.
  9. RebellingforLife

Another way of looking at it is that one girl in Sweden decided to start striking every Friday, four months later 15000 walk out in a country on the other side of the world along with smaller protests in many other countries. You tell me which way this is heading.

10. RebellingforLife

Another question.

We are going to have major disruption to our lives in the next few decades whether we decide to put the brakes on or we decide to continue our current lifestyle and drive over the cliff at full speed.

There will be a massive impact on the mental health of our students and the vast majority of them won't have relatives who are capable of explaining what is happening so the responsibility will inevitably fall on the educators.

Have any schools or organisations considered the effect climate breakdown will have on the mental health of their students and of the adults who will have to deal with it whilst perhaps having problems of their own? What training is being planned help s do this task?

11. Rott Weiler

Says who? (Other than you)

Why is climate change going to cause this major crisis in mental health?

Why such a condescending attitude to parents?

Alarmist nonsense IMV

Stiltskin and border_walker like this.
  12. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Academic nihilism. Never come across that before have we?
    What does she want us to learn?
    I've included global warming and ecological impact reduction in appropriate lessons all my career.
    "Boooooooooring! We want fast cars, take away food, to travel the world on jet planes and throw away fashion"

13. RebellingforLife

I don't imagine being told that you won't be able to drive a car or fly in a plane will make them too happy but the prospect of facing food shortages and social breakdown will probably tip many over the edge. The high number of suicides among farmers in India is being attributed to climate change. So if a significant number of people do start to take their lives, that too will be something we will need to deal with.

There are some more links below, some are scholarly articles and others are press coverage. There is a whole load more if you want to have a good read.

https://aquaticpath.phhp.ufl.edu/waterbiology/handouts/mcmichael_2006.pdf

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4446935/

https://www.independent.co.uk/envir...ather-stress-depression-us-ipcc-a8583601.html

https://www.psychologytoday.com/gb/blog/experimentations/201810/how-ignore-climate-change

As for the parents, I'm not being condescending just stating a fact. It is incredible how many people have no idea what is happening with the climate and just pass it off as alarmist nonsense.

14. RebellingforLife

I think there are a lot of people who can come up with the answers, she's simply campaigning to keep global temperatures within "safe" limits. The consequences of no action is that her generation could well be one of the last, the consequences of taking action are that her generation will have very few of the privileges that we have come to expect as rights. The bottom layers of Maslow's hierarchy of needs are;

Safety: Security and safety
    Physiological : Food, water, warmth and rest

Climate breakdown will send a wrecking ball through those layers and we are all at risk of food shortages and violence from the breakdown of society. It isn't going to be nice.

Unusually for modern teenagers she doesn't want any of those things you have mentioned above and actively campaigns against them.

15. Christopher  Curtis

Christopher Curtis Occasional commenter

RebellingforLife,

It’s heading for its 15 seconds of fame.

16. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Maths_Shed likes this.
  17. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

There isn't the time.

Seriously.

Maths_Shed likes this.
  18. Rott Weiler

I'm not saying climate change is alarmist nonsense. I don't doubt the reality of climate change.

I'm saying that OP's assertion that climate change is going to cause a major mental health crisis in young people that the "vast majority" of their parents cannot cope with so schools will have to plan to deal with the mental health collapse of a generation of children is alarmist nonsense. Nothing in the IPCC document you linked says anything to support OP's assertion.

19. blazer

blazer Star commenter

How will you get the kids off Fortnite long enough for them to hear the message?

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  20. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

That's true. the only way you will get most kids to fight climate change is to put it in an x box game.