1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Strike day for non union members

Discussion in 'Personal' started by ROSIEGIRL, Nov 22, 2011.

1. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

There should be some arrangements in place for those not striking to register their availability for work that day.

2. kareneliot

kareneliot Occasional commenter

That is not right. You are available for work and should be paid. If your place of work is closed by the employer for whatever reason, that is not your fault (as it would be if there was say, a power failure) you should be paid. Your employer is entitled to request you to work at an alternative location for the day.
    You do need to indicate your interntion to work or pitch-up on the day, to show you were willing.
    The above is employment in general and not school specific (i.e there may be specific reasons why you cannot work elsewhere).

3. madenglishgirl

madenglishgirl New commenter

I'm not striking wither, but the school is still going to be shut. Non-striking colleagues are to attend work as usual and sign a register so we still get paid. No show, no money.

4. Thankyou for all of your responses, I will be consulting with my colleagues and informing my employer again of my willingness to work and shall see at the end of the month if they have taken a days wage away from me. Its nice to know where i stand though :) thanks again!