1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Strike by teachers a protest and last resort

Discussion in 'Personal' started by bharatg1patel, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Hi I just heard about this on the news. I think we should start listening to our Teachers instead of weak management who have no idea what kids get up to in the classroom.

Mobile phone not confiscated in the classroom? Give me a break!

2. MissRS

MissRS New commenter

The sad things about it is that theirs is not the only school that is happening in. Our school has the worst communication I've ever experienced and I think we would walk as well if we weren't all so scared on the head (and the prospect of not having a job to pay the bills in this climate.).

3. Its true, but think of the damage to that schools reputation and how everyone thinks the teachers are right!
    That head will have so much pressure on them by people asking "what the hell are you doing about this?"
    Would you strike if your collegues did too?

4. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

The staff unrest has only just reached the point of actually walking out. It was in the local news that teachers were on the brink of strike action over a month ago and it was averted at the last moment. It sounds like nothing changed. A lot of the pupils were posting on the local paper's forum that it wasn't that bad, but they don't know the frustration felt by many staff at not being supported by those who should provide a duty of care to staff as well as pupils.

5. We know what kids are like, its not like they'll admit to being little sh$ts. I'd love to see the head fall on his sword and see it happen elsewhere!
    Anyone else smell a Libiyan style taking back of power across the country!!?

6. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

HER sword

7. Regardless she'll hopefully be toast after this.
    I quite fancy a little uprising now, collectively we should have so much more power over how things are done...

8. Richie Millions

Richie Millions New commenter

New Head just started, school being rebuilt and temporarily rehoused in another building. Little surprise then that there are problems. Surely though if management was more experienced, wiser this would have been headed off sometime ago. LA's often used to play this role. Now too often like Pontius they wash their hands.

9. I think you will see more of this type of action from now on, and I am so interested to follow this story to see it's outcome.

I would love to say that we need change and revolution, and this could be the start of it. But there is already too much reform and constant change. Instead, what I hope for is for that this will help to form that change into the right shape.

The Edudicator

10. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

And you really think you'll get 'more power over how things are done...'?
    What might you do if you had it, bearing in mind the law rather than what you think you ought to be able to do to misbehaving children?

11. It's not just about the behaviour of today's youth (in schools) though, is it?
    What is needed is for Heads to scream "Help!" too, instead of collectively building stupid facades for the sake of OFSTED and their LEAs. Heads have to work with the staff of a school and they too have to be open and honest about the problems teachers face.
    There are thousands of good, diligent, caring people in education. Recognise the problems - and the lack of effective sanctions to correct the problems, and start building from there. It will take heck of a lot of pressure off those at the top too.

12. ramaduds

ramaduds New commenter

As a staff team we complained about poor behaviour, inconsistency with how pupils are dealt with and followed up, and policies that do not work - the solution was whole school cpd on how to deal positively with poor bahaviour - the vibrant speaker reinforced that poor behaviour is the result of your inability to cater for their needs and promoted the view that it is showing weakness to send pupils out of the lesson - even for things such as showing homophobia.
    The training was not diffrentiated and was mostly us being spoken to. NQTs, support staff, ASTs and lunchtime supervisors all had the same training.
    The speaker did give some positive strategies however.
    Am i wrong to feel like the issue has been blamed on us?

13. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Yes in the sense that any school response to poor behaviour has to be a whole-school one - a few people at the top cannot 'cure' it without the total involvement of the whole staff, which is why (I'm guessing) you all got the same training.
    I'd have started with the whole staff identifying the problems and coming up with some ideas and solutions together, however.

14. Richie, I worked somewhere that could easily have ended up in the same situation. I wrote to my MP about the problems, he said he couldn't help. I talked to a local councillor, they promised to look into it... Behind the scenes the LA didn't have a clue what to do and never came near the school. You cannot rely on an LA for support or to sort out poor management. There is such a thing as poor management of a school, our head back then made such ridiculous decisions that undermined the things that were going well. He cancelled the bells for example... In some schools this might work, in ours it reduced the start and ends of lessons to a joke, and partly due to staff not supporting the situation too, but the kids took the mick and no management were helping get the kids into lessons. The bursar was hiding bills and we went into a financial crisis that meant classes of up to 38, with little acknowledgement of the pressures or a thanks. The worst behaved kids were able to swear and be abusive to the head and he took it. No good - rude to the head should mean you are given the phone numbers of other schools... He continually messed up exclusions. People got their cars stolen, but SMT were to busy going home at 3.31pm to stay and help the affected. There are differences between good and poor SMT, they are small, but vital. In our situation the worst we did was write a letter expressing concern. No strikes, no grievance. The LA must have supported here because the head fell on his sword, by taking sick leave then we believe a package to get him to retirement. It must be awful up there and from my own experience staff must be seriously frightened about the future for themselves and their students. Good luck, I hope they get something done to reassure them things will get better and their concerns acknowledged.

15. I once had the misfortune to spend a term on supply in a school run by the worst HT I have ever come across. Considering the school only had 6 classes and a total staff of maybe 22 people (including cleaners, caretaker and admin) there were 7 formal grievances against the HT, a number of informal grievances and several more pending grievances! An LA investigation was conducted and every member of staff was interviewed and from this an 'action plan' sanctioned by the LA and Governors to improve 'communication' and 'management style' was put in place. It had no effect on the HT and staff felt like the LA had just done enough to cover their backs but not done anything to support the staff. How she had the temerity to remain in post I have no idea, but stay she did... until a couple of years later when she got a job in another school (HT) in a different authority.