1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Strike but not picketing / rallying?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lillipad, Jun 28, 2011.

1. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

I want to strike, but am not keen on going to a picket line or a rally... But feel that people at work will frown upon me as they all plan to rally. I'm told we don't HAVE to rally, but not sure if morally I should?! Thoughts?

2. I can't get to the rally nearest to me as, bizarrely, I have to take my youngest to school (I had thought he'd be off).
    My colleagues are mostly going though.

3. Meant to ask - why are you not wanting to go?

4. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

I'm going to our local rally (and taking Cariadlet with me as her teacher is also on strike), as I think it will help to show the strength of feeling. Also, the NUT and ATL local reps have been really supportive with issues that we recently had at our school, so I feel that I owe them, and want to be there in return for what the union have done for us.
    Having said that, although I feel that having well attended rallies will show how many teachers are behind the strike (the government are going on and on about the low turnout for the vote), and I do want to help make up the numbers, I'm not so keen on showing my face.
    One of the older pupils asked if it was going to be on the news, and I'm a bit camera shy, so if the local telly or press are about, I'll be hiding at the back.