1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Strike and NQT/PPA time?

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by ESLAB, Nov 21, 2011.

1. ESLAB

ESLAB New commenter

I really hope this doesn't sound like a selfish question, but the strike next week falls on the day which is my NQT and PPA day. If I strike it obviously doesn't affect my actual teaching time (because I won't be teaching), but what happens to my NQT and PPA time? Does it then become my choice or does the school have to give me this day in lieu that week? Thanks for any replies.

2. If you choose to strike you are in breach of contract. There is absolutely no obligation for the school to give you any time in lieu as you have chosen to break your contract. I can't imagine any school agreeing to any time in lieu but your headtecaher is the person to ask. I say this as someone who completely supports the strike action.

3. If your Head supports the strikes then he/she might take pity and give you your NQT time another timebut I doubt they'd give PPA. There are often eventualities (special days, trips, training days) when people miss PPA and it would set a precedent. Thats just my view.

4. I also don't teach on Wednesdays due to NQT+PPA time. Dagnabbit falling on a bloody Wednesday! I wouldn't even ask about getting the time somewhere else! I'm not misunderstanding this, am I? Teachers don't turn up and make a picket line, they simply don't turn up. So you can just work from home? And without any pesky NQT directed tasks, too! Of course, it's my first payday on the 29th and I WILL have to find time to get to a Clinique counter and a branch of Toys 'R' Us. One of them is for my class' weekly raffle draw. You can work out which.
    Up the workers xx

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

You might want to wonder about those of totally opposed to the strike who also have PPA on that day. My year team colleague, with whom I share PPA time, is striking.

6. If you are a member of a striking union I wouldn't expect much sympathy. If not I would hope you respect the right of others to strike, just as I would respect your right not to strike.

7. If you chooseto exercise your democratic right and strike then you should not expect that 'los' time back - think of it this way, the pupils will lose teaching time, so would you agree to teach them what they were missing on another day, say after school?
    If you declare that you are on strike then you will lose pay - if you declare that you are not on strike then you must attend work and, in this case you will get you PPA/NQT time.
    James