1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

strike advice

Discussion in 'Personal' started by FleurR, Nov 27, 2011.

1. FleurR

FleurR New commenter

Hi

I need some advice on taking strike action, especially from those colleagues in the independent sector. Are you striking? I feel I should as I agree with the cause, but question the effect I will have. I am one of three people (may be the only one even) to consider striking on Wednesday. My school is following the IAPS advice, so I will lose 1/185 pay. My argument is with the government not my pupils, or their parents. What do I do?

2. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I'm in an indie and I'm not striking. None of us are.

3. Hi there Fleur

I work in an indy school and I'm striking. A lot of us went on strike last time and there is significant support this time too. Have you got a union rep in your school? Ours has been very helpful and has been the intermediary between us and our HT. You need to let your HT know of your intention to strike; I know we don't HAVE to, but we all have as a matter of courtesy.
    If you just look at the implications for indy staff with the proposed changes for us and the TPS, it makes it worth striking: our pension will be frozen; indy schools wil be put in the position of finding another pension scheme for us, which won't be as stable as the TPS, which will have implications on school fees and maybe staffing. We don't know how easy it will be to move between indy schools post-TPS without causing pension problems. And how many state school staff will come across to work in indy if there's no recognised pension? The recruitment pool will be smaller.

Our school didn't close last time, and we don't know yet about this time. But we thought it was worth it, because it still sends a message to the government; state schools are expected to close, but it hits home to them when it's indy schools that are affected.
    Best of luck.

4. v12

v12

We have an academic staff of just over 100 (combined Prep and Senior) - and none of us is striking.
    The Headmaster wrote a very supportive letter to us all indicating that while he found the strike regrettable, he would totally support any member of staff who had been directed to strike by their union.
    Apparently the HMC have been in negotiation with the government about pensions - although I didn't read that bit in detail.
    Of course, our employers are really the parents who pay the school fees - and our argument is not with them.
    I will not be striking.

5. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Lead commenter

If you pay into the TPS and you are a member of a union that has voted to strike, I really don't see that working in an independent school should make any difference.

6. A friend who works at an independent school has been informed that if he or anyone else strike they will be dismissed.

7. No way! That's horrific. That's got to be illegal?? Working at school like that, I sincerely hope that your friend and colleagues are in a union. Sounds as if they need it.

8. It is terrible, I agree but it is a very interesting school for all sorts of reasons.

9. kareneliot

kareneliot Occasional commenter

If they are not in a union, they cannot strike.

10. Indeed they can't....but she didn't explicitly say that they were actually thinking about striking, so I was making sure. I read it as the HT had warned everyone.

11. v12

v12

My last independent school had a Head like that - although it was proprietorial rather than HMC.

Present HM very good though and has handled in a very reasonable way.

Yes, we are in the TPS but the government is not our employer - difficult one that.

Mind you, I still wouldn't strike. Not the way I was raised. Goes against the grain somewhat.