1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

STRIKE- advice needed please

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by anon4038, Jun 29, 2011.

1. I am due to start my nqt year in september, but from now until july I am working in a school supporting children with SEN.
    The school is staying open, but teachers in the NUT are striking, the others are not. I have just joined the NUT and fully support the cause of the strike but I would really like to go into work tomorrow to support the children who I work with as they have tests tomorrow which the school are taking very seriously.
    What I want to know is if I choose to go into work am I doing anything 'wrong' or is this fully my choice? Regardless of individual opinion is there a law or obligation as a union that I would be breaking?
    I am worried that im doing something 'wrong' depsite the fact that I have made the personal decision to go into work.
    Any advice would be much appreciated.

2. You are doing nothing illegal. It is fully your choice. Friends of mine who aren;t striking (non-NUT) are wearing yellow to work as a sign of support - perhaps you could do that to show your support?

3. coppull

coppull New commenter

Please also remember that NUT,ATL, and NASUWT may be taking part in further strikes or working to contract during the Autumn Term.