1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Strike action

Discussion in 'Personal' started by gchand, Nov 26, 2011.

1. kareneliot

kareneliot Occasional commenter

Although closed to pupils, why should if be closed to employees?

2. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

If the site staff and all key holders are on strike and the school is unable to be opened?
    If the building is considered to not meet health and safety requirements owing to not having a first aider on site, or other key members of staff.
    The lights in our school building are switched on by one of those small keys, rather than switches. If site staff are not working, there will be no-one to do this - health and safety issue and impossible to work in the dark (I know, I know, natural light, but actually many areas of my school would be increibly dark without the electric lights).
    The headteacher themself may be striking and may therefore decide to close the school due to the lack of management presence. If it's a small school with only a few staff, non-striking staff may be told to work from home.
    Who knows? It's not like I'm personally closing the schools to staff, I simply suggested that some school may be close altogether.

3. It's worth remembering that you do not, legally, have to inform the head that you are taking action. They might want you to and might ask, but you don't have to tell them. They have to assume that if you are not at work, then, you are on strike. Our Union reps met with the Head on Thursday last week to inform him that three quarters of their members were intending to take industrial action and that, of the remaining members, they were either not at the meeting or their decision was not known. On that basis, he's decided to close the school to students but non striking staff need to be present. And they will need to sign in so that he knows who is present (and will be paid). We don't have an issue with the site - although our caretakers are on strike and many of the office staff are also on strike, he has worked out who will open up and lock up on the day. Yes, like others, our head has tried to make it 'personal' but we are ignoring him. Union reps always in conversation with members of staff when they are seen around the building at the moment. It was mentioned in an earlier post about heads trying to get striking teachers to set cover: NO teacher on strike should set cover, or mark work done when they are on strike. And if a school is trying to be kept open, non-striking union members must NOT accept any children into their class who would be being taught by a striking teacher. No union accepts strike-breaking and teaching the children of a striking colleague's class is strike breaking. (Hope I'm not teaching grandmothers' to suck eggs here, but feel it needs re-iterating.)

4. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Star commenter

Is it usual practice to insist on a dr note if you happen to fall ill on that day? Not that Im intending to but if I did I would not be able to get an appointment that quickly. I can just imagine dr surgerys full of folk who dont really need to see a dr but have fallen ill that day and have told they need a note.

5. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

You will need a doctor's note and if your doctor charges for this you will have to pay it for yourself. So better to go into work if not striking and then go home if really sick and with symptoms.
    Better though, to support your colleagues who are striking.

6. Not sure if it's usual practice but it's a sensible course of action. If you fall ill on the day, phoning in and explaining you are ill and not striking should be enough but it's one of those occasions where having a doctor's certificate will prove your point. We have advised our members to get a note if they are ill. We don't think the head will cause problems, but it's better to be safe and paid if it happens to you.

7. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Lead commenter

It has been made very clear in our area (generic LA letter) that anyone sick that day <u>will</u> have to have a sick note.

8. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Star commenter

Thanks, as I said not that I intend to be, just wondering really.

9. moggycat

moggycat New commenter

I agree completely. The goverment will succeed with their plans because not all people, who should, are striking. Its frightening. People will realise. When ts too late.

10. Site services and cleaners on strike at our school as are most teachers, some TAs and the Head and SMT.
    Our school is closed for the day. Non striking teachers will be expected to work at home, TAs are being given directed work to do at home (stuff for Christmas grotto, Christmas Concert and Christmas activities for the last week.)
    Non striking staff will be paid. I am guessing our Business Manager is probably secretly more miffed with the non strikers because they will still have to be paid on strike day.
    What happens to the money saved by not paying staff, does it just go back into the school budget? Will schools lose financially on strike day?
    Just interested as the news is full of the costs to the economy of the strike action. How much will the action of those in schools adversely affect the economy? I am guessing that the cost to the economy will be based largely on the loss of work days of parents unable to work although I suppose that parents may choose to use up holiday days.

11. Could someone please help me this query?

My Head sent an email to all staff in early November asking that we let her know by the 18th November if we were intending to strike. I was still unsure and I also hadn't received official written confirmation that my union had 'yes' vote in the ballot, so I didn't say anything. On Tuesday her PA came around with a piece of paper with the names of all staff and we had to say yes or no. As I could see that all the names had 'no' against the I felt pressured to say 'no' too.
    Having now spoken to my son and daughter, who are a teacher and a nurse i have realised the error of my ways and now feel I should do what I feel is right, which is to strike. My son says that the Head has no right to know who is striking by asking us to inform her before hand. Although I have said no can I change my mind?
    I will be the only one at school striking but I feel strongly that if I want my union to support ME then I should support THEM and my colleagues.
    Where do I stand legally?

12. I hope anyone not wishing to strike and are ill on the day will tell the LA to take it to court. Completely illegal. Having said that, they probably haven't the balls

13. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Lead commenter

Phone or email your union asap for an official answer.
    And good on you for wanting to stand up for yourself.

14. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Yopur union rep needs a kick up the ****! It is not his job to do the HT's work for him. The ep should have instructed you that you are not obliged to tell the HT in advance if you are on strike! Is the rep on strike?

15. blazer

blazer Star commenter

You are in a union and you can strike. If you feel the need then email the PA and ask her to change no to yes or just don't turn up on Wdnesday.

16. kareneliot

kareneliot Occasional commenter

The LA will have stopped the money, so the employee will have to take it to court. It will be an interesting case as most public sector employers agree on the process, If the employers were to lose a court case, the easy response is to make the first day of sickness unpaid, always.

17. Good for you-you should feel proud and at least you are thinking of future teachers. Yes you can change your mind-the head needs to be informed the day before. Go for it!