1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Strike action

Discussion in 'Personal' started by gchand, Nov 26, 2011.

1. gchand

gchand New commenter

My union rep held a meeting where she asked everyone whether they will be striking on Wednesday. Some said yes and some said 'Don't know'. The names were given to the Head. The school will be closed on Wednesday. The instructions are that if you are not striking you should sign in to work. Can it be right that some people can just sign in and then go home and not lose a day's pay. Or have I got this all wrong?

2. kareneliot

kareneliot Occasional commenter

People willing to work get paid.

3. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Surely the school is still open to staff?

4. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious New commenter

During the last strike, members of staff in my school had to write down the time they arrived and the time they left. I doubt any SMT would let that sort of behaviour fly (if they have any sense...).

5. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

It depends if the school building is actually open - if the caretaker is also on strike the non-strikers won't be able to get into the building.
    In the June strike , the NAS/UWT members in my school were in for the day, without the children.

6. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

It depends it the site staff are striking. Our site staff are, and so the school site will be closed because they won't open it.

7. fantastischfish

Damn, should read to the end of the thread before posting. [​IMG]

8. lilachardy

Lots of people have keys to my school, so the buildings can open even if the chief caretaker isn't there.
    Surely this must be the case everywhere... what if the keyholder is off sick?

9. gchand

gchand New commenter

The school will be closed to pupils. It just leaves a bitter taste that just by saying that you are availabe to work (and do nothing) that you do not lose a days pay. If the union is striking then everyone (by definition) in it should be. Someone please correct me!!

10. ROSIEGIRL

But he's not off sick - he's on strike.

11. ROSIEGIRL

It's up to them if they want to strike or not. If they don't, they get paid. Striking is not compulsory.

12. lilachardy

Striking is not compulsory, but if you choose not to strike and can then look a colleague in the eye on Thursday, you're a hard person.

13. ROSIEGIRL

Absolutely. I'm striking and marching on Wednesday!

14. Honey Loop

Honey Loop New commenter

I have a friend who is not in a union but his school is closed due to strike action. Will he still lose pay even though he technically won't be striking?
    NB: he has been reminded about his folly of not being in a union...

15. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

Don't leave the strikers exposed.
    We all have to strike.

16. I would seriously be questioning why the union rep gave the names of the teachers who were striking to the head.

17. We all need to come to a personal decision if we want to strike.

18. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

No he won't.
    If the school is closed but he is available and willing to work then he will be paid. It's just like a Snow Day.

19. kareneliot

kareneliot Occasional commenter

If he is a salaried employee, he should be paid if he is available to work.
    The union would call a strike to ensure non-strikers were paid on strike days?

20. fantastischfish

Does it strike (no pun intended) anyone else that some headteachers are taking staff's decision to strike as a personal slight on them? The way some head's are asking union members to declare if they are striking or not, provide cover work for students etc, it's as though they feel personally stung by the decision to walk out.
    As for non-striking colleagues: if the school is open, they go to work as per normal and teach (if nay children are there - I know some schools are opening to certain classes) OR get on with planning, marking etc. If the school is closed, they simply let the headteacher know that they are not striking and therefore need paying as usual.