1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

strike 30th November

Discussion in 'Personal' started by sueturauskis, Nov 22, 2011.

1. I am no longer in a union, I support the strike but work in the area of Special Needs, we are used to be exempt from strike action. Is this still the case?

2. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

I would think that if you're not in a union it's not an issue anyway.
    The guidance I've been given mentions that staff in Residential Schools and Hospital Schools are exempt.

3. madwoman

madwoman New commenter

however - you do know you are not supposed to cross a picket line whether you are in a union or not!

4. kareneliot

kareneliot Occasional commenter

Only if in a union, surely? If not it is a personal decision but a grey area since you are supposed to be in work.

5. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

Oh please

6. kareneliot

Oops
    Only if in a striking union, surely? If not it is a personal decision but a grey area since you are supposed to be in work.

7. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Well I'd cross a picket line becasue I've got far too much work to do and cannot afford a day off, whatever the reason! If I were to strike it would be me who suffers, trying to get the work completed.
    Just not an option!

8. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

But surely that is the point. An individual shows how strongly they feel on an issue by taking on some element of suffering themselves, usually losing pay, but in these circumstances, missing a days valuable work time. Virtually all striking teachers would rather be getting on with work for both reasons but consider the issue worth it.

9. BelleDuJour

To me no.
    Striking teachers are a no-no, together with striking doctors and nurses.
    Wew are a caring profession and for the caring professions striking is, to me, not prefessional.
    I have an obligation to my students that I am prepared to put first.
    It doesn't mean I don't care. If anything it means I care too much.

10. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

Those on strike are also "supposed" to be in work.

11. ROSIEGIRL

I don't know anyone who is happy to be taking strike action. I do lnow lots who believe, on this occasion, that it's worth taking a long term view and making a stand.
    I'm also not comfortable with the view of teaching as a 'caring' profession. I think it's an over-simplification of what we do and is not a helpful description.

12. BelleDuJour

Probably no more of an over-simplification than calling doctors and nurses caring.

13. ROSIEGIRL

Agreed.
    And for teachers and nurses I think it holds them back in efforts to be regarded as more of a 'profession' than 'caring'.
    It's the teaching (or nursing) as a 'vocation' view.
    (And I am very caring about the children I teach!)

14. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Indeed. One step removed from having a religious vocation and therefore very little need for financial reward and quite happy to work until death. Funny how that works out.

15. BelleDuJour

Teachers, doctors and nurses are caring professions, not caring vocations.
    The only people with vocations, IMO, are nuns and priests!

16. blazer

blazer Star commenter

From the NASUWT

Exemptions to striking

Service Children’s Education (SCE)
    Members working in Service Children?s Education.
    Special education
    Members who work in hospital schools.
    Residential schools
    Members who work in residential schools and who are normally resident on-site at the school.
    Schools where an inspection has been scheduled for the day of the strike action
    Where a school has received a formal notice that an inspection will take place on the day of the strike or where an inspection will be in progress on that day, members are exempted. Members who work in schools which:
    • have received an ?inadequate? inspection judgement from Ofsted (England);
    • have received an ?unsatisfactory? judgement from Estyn (Wales);
    • are subject to a follow-up visit following an intervention by the Education and Training
    Inspectorate (Northern Ireland) or HMiE (Scotland); and whose school is scheduled for a visit in connection with the above on the day of the strike, are exempted.
    Schools/services where a formal closure notice has been issued
    Members in schools where the decision has been made to close the school and a formal notice of closure to take place before September 2012 has been issued are exempted.
    Educational visits
    Members participating in residential visits, the timing of which incorporates the day of the strike, are exempted, providing that the staffing ratios for the visit in relation to staff accompanying the pupils and staffing at the residential centre remain at the recommended level to ensure that health and safety requirements are met and are not altered as a result of strike action.
    Members scheduled to participate in an educational visit on the day of the strike are exempted, providing that:
    • the headteacher is not on strike;
    • the staffing complement meets the required levels and is not reduced or amended because of strike action;
    • the money paid for the visit is non-refundable.

17. catmother

catmother Star commenter

However,the general public will justify nurses and teachers to have to put up with **** because "it's a vocation".

18. I won't be striking despite union advice as I don't feel it's appropriate yet. The unions are still in negotiations with the government and until those negotiations are completed we effectively don't know what we are striking against. My own view (and I appreciate that many will disagree) is that the economy has been wrecked and we cannot expect our relatively generous pension to be unaffected while other sectors are being harder hit. Naturally I don't want to end up paying more contribution or getting less pension but I feel we have to be realistic and try to get the best negotiated result we can. Disrupting children's eduction is a serious matter and we could end up alienating our profession from the rest of society. Don't forget that most large companies who used to offer final salary schemes have now withdrawn them - we do not want to end up in that position surely? Most parents think we are well paid and enjoy long holidays - their perception of teachers will deteriorate further if we withdraw our labour merely in order to keep our benefits the same.

19. kareneliot

It's strange because they clearly are not, at this time. I guess they don't want to have to debate the issue with each occupation one by one, although it would be a more effective approach to deal with them on an individual basis as the per capita shortfall varies considerably (see the Hutton Report).

20. Probably because the major cause of the "Black Hole" is the fact that the Armed Forces do not contribute one penny to their pensions. Suddenly asking for a monetary contribution as well as a potential life contribution would not get great support from the general public. Much better to attack those gold-plated pensions for teachers who have long holidays and who can retire 5-10years before State pension age. [​IMG]