1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Stretching the more able in Design Technology

Discussion in 'Primary' started by smallypauly, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Hello! I have an OFSTED observation this week and could do with a little help with how to challenge the more able. The class are designing life rafts. The children are choosing the materials and justifying their choices. They will have a criteria - must float, must hold a certain weight. Any suggestions as to making it more challenging? This is a slightly shortened version of plan by the way, just to give an idea!!

2. pachamama

pachamama New commenter

Hello there, good luck with the obs. Could you tell us a bit more? year group? Are the going to design their life rafts in that lesson? Or have they already done that? Have they already had a go at testing different materials to see which work best in water? Or which materials are the strongest?
    Sorry it sounds like a ks1 task, but I could be totally wrong. Have they practised methods of actually making things? Not just best materials but which is the best way to put them together? (cellotape, staples, blue tac, etc)
    Sorry no ideas to help as such, but when I know the year group it will help decide where you can challenge. [​IMG]

3. Oh yes!! It's year 5! They have tested a wide variety of materials for ability to float and which are most durable. We haven't looked at joining together this term yet.
    Oh lord! I've totally under pitched this one! eeek!

4. pachamama

pachamama New commenter

So they have designed their floats and stated what materials they will use. Will they be working in teams? Individually? Could you make it into a competition? Have their floats got to be the same size?
    Sorry, long time since I was in KS2. To me this is the sort of task where children challenge themselves. Especially if a prize is involved!!
    But I know it is stressful trying to challenge ALL children and make sure they are making progress throughout every second of the 15 mins that you will be observed.
    The lesson sounds great, there's lots of opportunity for discussion, experimenting, evaluating. (Could you use Blooms Taxonomy to help you with types of questions you could ask? (Have you any good scientists - linking to displacement and buoyancy) http://www.brainpopjr.com/science/forces/sinkorfloat/grownups.weml
    I wish you all the luck in the world, when I was 9/10 I would have loved this sort of task. But then I'm a kinesthetic learner. Must go am about to enjoy the next episode of Homeland!!
    [​IMG]

5. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

you could extend the task to make it suitable for someone who is unconscious, or disabled.
    could they design a simple electric circuit to put a light on
    linking to the science curriculum, could they use Newton metres in some way to work out how much the float will support?
    Could they think of a way to link several floats together
    just floating ideas...

6. Thankyou so much for your advice!! It's very much appreciated!!