1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

stretching G+T students in writing

Discussion in 'English' started by dew_a_change, Mar 9, 2011.

1. HI,

Anyone got any ideas for challlenging 7 Year G+T students in writing skills?
    Want to do a one-off lesson wiith them to give them a taster of higher levels.
    Anyone recommend any texts or good extracts that you think will work well?

I like the opening to Ruby in the Smoke and I'm thinking of getting them to write their own opening which leaves shocks the reader.

2. Thanks for responses. There's only a few gifted and talented students in the clas, just need to make sure they're being challenged.

3. I think it's nonsense to suggest children can't write the opening of a novel, or that it is somehow inherently meaningless. One of the things children find hardest is creating a decent plot within the few hundred words we expect from them - writing an opening takes away that pressure and allows the ones to usually write "this happened and then this happened and then this happened" type of story to focus on other aspects of writing.

4. You're thinking like a teacher, not a child.
    We know that virtually none of our pupils will grow up to be published writers. We're not interested in reading stories by ten year olds. The reason we set creative writing is that it's the best way of developing writing skills which will be used for real in producing accountancy reports.
    However they don't know that, and it's good that they don't think their destiny is in chartered accountancy. They think that if they can just get enough words on paper they'll have "Five go to Kirrin Island" and other children will read and enjoy it. They don't know just how cleverly constructed Enid Blyton's books are. (Most adults don't realise this either, it's only when you try to write an imitation that you realise that there's a lot more to it than appears).
    A novel is only a success when it is finished.

5. And many not even then. You are missing the point - THEY ARE NOT TRYING TO WRITE A NOVEL.

6. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

I don't think that bgy1mm teaches in a mainstream school and so is looking at classroom activities from a different perspective.

7. I don't think he teaches. That doesn't mean he shouldn't be able to read and understand posts.

8. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

True - I was trying to be chariatable!

9. I would have been more charitable if he hadn't been so scathing about the OP's perfectly reasonable idea.

10. I really like this idea... thanks sweetie1! [*]

11. Joannanna

Joannanna New commenter

I love how you skipped the second part of my post :D [/p]

[p] I personally set creative writing because most of my students enjoy it. They love the chance to be creative. [/p]