1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Stretching able readers at upper KS2

Discussion in 'English' started by TheGazMan, Aug 16, 2011.

1. TheGazMan

TheGazMan New commenter

Hi there,
    I'm looking for some inspiration! I'm a year 5/6 teacher who has just been handed the role of G&T co-ordinator in school. One of the main areas for development is with regards able readers. We have consistently seen over the last couple of years children achieving 5C/5B in reading by the middle of year 5. The problem we then face is that they tend to stagnate, meaning that on the tracking charts they don't make any further progress - or progress is minimal. What advice have people got for this? Perhaps secondary teachers have ideas? It's a key area for development this year and is forming part of a project I'm completing for a leadership programme so any advice will be much appreciated.

2. TheGazMan

TheGazMan New commenter

Hi there,
    I'm looking for some inspiration! I'm a year 5/6 teacher who has just been handed the role of G&T co-ordinator in school. One of the main areas for development is with regards able readers. We have consistently seen over the last couple of years children achieving 5C/5B in reading by the middle of year 5. The problem we then face is that they tend to stagnate, meaning that on the tracking charts they don't make any further progress - or progress is minimal. What advice have people got for this? Perhaps secondary teachers have ideas? It's a key area for development this year and is forming part of a project I'm completing for a leadership programme so any advice will be much appreciated.