1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Stressing about KS2 Maths assessments

Discussion in 'Primary' started by AdrienneKing, Sep 9, 2008.

1. AdrienneKing

AdrienneKing New commenter

We, as a school, have opted to go with APP this year for Assessments, but none of us have any training/experience or idea about them!! My headteacher is wanting Maths assessments for every child in KS2 by October, and wants them regularly (half termly) updating. I think this sounds reasonable enough, but am really stressed as to how to implement anything to assess....Am loathe to give another 'test' as we do Optional SATs in May. Does anyone have an 'Assessment timetable' for maths? Or have you been using APP as pilots etc? Can anyone help? Please?

Adrienne x

2. AdrienneKing

AdrienneKing New commenter

We, as a school, have opted to go with APP this year for Assessments, but none of us have any training/experience or idea about them!! My headteacher is wanting Maths assessments for every child in KS2 by October, and wants them regularly (half termly) updating. I think this sounds reasonable enough, but am really stressed as to how to implement anything to assess....Am loathe to give another 'test' as we do Optional SATs in May. Does anyone have an 'Assessment timetable' for maths? Or have you been using APP as pilots etc? Can anyone help? Please?

Adrienne x

3. I've been on the pilot if I can help.

4. I've been on a course- and APP is designed to be used for a few children with the aim of sharpening T assessments. The whole class will be impossible. My school had something similar for each child and the only ways I could do it were either through tests, or one-on-one sessions which took too much manpower.

5. trinity0097

trinity0097 New commenter

Since so many people on here that have tried APP for Maths have had negative reactions, and with our county insisting that it is implemented this year, and our school insisting with all pupils. My way round it is basically to match up the AFs to the questions on the tests that we set and actually analyse the pupils that way. We do 3 tests a year, the optional in May, the previous optional in Feb and the oldest optional in Oct.

6. As I've said on another thread - I was on the pilot for Maths APP. The whole idea of it is not to test the children in order to collect the data but to carry out teacher assessments ie. in everyday lessons either whole class sessions or when you are working with children in a group setting. Although the idea of moving away from formal assessment is laudable, I think APP may well result in yet more testing because, hand on heart, it really isn't workable for 30-35 children. I can't see that the idea of just focusing on 6 children holds much water - how is that fair & equitable for the rest of the class who have the same entitlement to your time and input as a teacher?

The consultants on this project really didn't listen to those taking part. APP falls down at one of their first hurdles - that it is useful, workable system which doesn't generate too much paperwork for teachers. The idea of APP is that it will uncover for you as the teacher children's misconceptions about maths. However, just the process of collecting and recording this information makes it a non-starter. To me this is valuable time away from the much more important job of working with children in your class & helping develop their understanding. Form filling at its worst.

My advice to you is obviously, try not to stress about the assessments. Concentrate on the children in your class & the input they need to improve. If you must, then do a speedy 'best fit' job on the APP stuff but be really strict with yourself about how much time you waste on it. No-one in their right mind is likely to call you on it. It's mindless enough for you to be saddled with it, and unlikely therefore that it'll be checked with a fine tooth comb! And if you're asked, then be honest & say you've done the best you can with it. And then get back to what & who we're really there for!!

7. Do you think this is a better form of assessment rather than a key objective tick list?

Where would I find the APP levelling papers for level 1.

8. I too have worked on APP since the early days. I actually really like it as a tool I use to assess children. I can do this not because I have a tick list for all 30 children but because I have worked with levels 3/4/5 for several years and I know the levels very well now. I can tell from looking at a child's work, the mistakes they make and their responses to oral questions which level they are working at. This level of knowledge has only come because initially the head did not impose from above how I should make it work I told her how it works after I had used it in my classroom initially just with three children.There are a lot of misconceptions about APP particularly amongst those who haven't used it. I also think it can challenge teacher's subject knowledge and we have put in a series of inset training sessions on maths subject knowldege and particularly what Ma1 is and how you can use this strand to assess not only skills in Ma1 but understanding in other areas of maths.

I feel APP is a much better and fairer system for the children than testing (it helps those children- usually girls - who under perform in tests) and implemented as it was originally intended empowers teachers.

9. The way that we have been 'sold' APP at my school is that it should run very much like the way the evidence is collected in the foundation stage in terms of writing down notes on what the children say, make comments on work relating to the APP levels etc. Is this a correct way of looking at it or have we just been fed some rubbish by our LA advisor?

10. Yes, sort of, but only for 3 to 6 children in a class It shouldn't be too onerous if you are doing assessment for learning in your classroom. You may need to make some notes about responses to oral questions but your marking in the books should be suffice for written work. I sometimes put a post-it note in the books to indicate work I have used as evidence of something I have highlighted in the APP assessments. Each teacher at our school makes up their own system that suits them so that they can talk knowlegably about what children can do and why they have made the judgements when we have moderation meetings.

11. WolfPaul

WolfPaul New commenter

I can quite understand that you are able to do this - so can I. In which case, what is the purpose of APP if you were able to level the children accurately without all the mind-numbing box ticking on innumerable pieces of paper?

12. Yes that's what we've been told to do that it should be three children at the moment and then when we get more confident it will be six. We've also been told to try doing a different 3-6 each half term and working out a system of recording for ourselves. I do quite like it, it is more paperwork and more evidence but I'm sure I'll prefer it to marking 90+ QCA tests at the end of each term.

13. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

I think it sounds like a horrendous waste of time.

14. Hi. I have just read your comments through a link via a google search and think your views are refreshing and reassuring. However, I noticed that you commented here in 2008. Since it is now 2011 and I find I am still having the same issues that you have mentionned are a 'non-starter', I wondered if you have made any progress or have different views on the matter?
    Personally I have found myself creating mini-tests in order to assess whether the children can actually apply what they have learnt in half a term, in a one-off assessment. This is because I feel after a week's worth of work most children can do many aspects of APP, but then forget it a few weeks later, so an accurate assessment should not take place as and when they learn it, but by applying it later on. This however is very difficult to practically implement without mini-tests I feel. I am in a school where they are really strict with how APP is done and do spot-check how you have completed it. I spend hours and hours trying to complete it accurately and still feel that there are many gaps because lots of it is difficult to teach and manage with a class of 30 children, as you previously mentionned.
    I hope you still view your previous threads and wonder whether you have any updated comments in regards to KS2 Maths APP. Thanks.

15. ^ In response to 'Sal 26'

16. greta444

greta444 New commenter

Poor you lot! What is this APP? come to Wales where there is no APP thing. Why aren't you using INCERTS? You sound like you'll be testing and assessing the poor loves to death!!

17. Msz

Msz Established commenter

INCERTS is an independent form of APP

18. children need to try to focus. we ve been learning about pilots you can maybe help me out