1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Stressed :-( Please help

Discussion in 'Primary' started by bbmak, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Got a lesson obs coming up and worried that the head is going to think that the children aren't learning anything from it....we're testing materials to see if they're waterproof and we're trying to find out the best material for a rain coat...problem is they've nearly all predicted that plastic would be waterproof and the best for a rain coat and that the rest of the materials (felt, paper, sponge) won't be.
    I was going to share our predictions in a graph that we'd put together in maths but is head gonna think that because they've all predicted plastic that they're not really learning anything?

I was thinking of making sure that they discuss why the other materials aren't suitable and that they discuss theyir properties etc...do you think this is ok?

2. slippeddisc

slippeddisc New commenter

What age children?
    Could you change the focus of the lesson e.g. turn it on it's head and do the learning of how to do a scientific conclusion or a fair test?

3. My class have recently done this and the paper was surprising strong and remained waterproof for a while, so children could discuss why this happens and as you already mentioned discuss the properties and uses of materials.
    Could also concentrate on the children carrying out a fair test
    Hope this is of some help x

4. Use Ict to draw the graphs on excel, repeat and talk about how that improves validity? If the children are younger, use a focus such as what can we use to make teddy's jacket? If you're looking at waterproof why not identify different fabrics, the children will have no knowledge of this - look at water proof coats, rain macs etc and what they are actually made of. Compare natural materials with man made - feathers V plastic? Ideas for each? Ideas to waterproof items that are not waterproof, like fat on you skin - repels the water.. etc

Just a few ideas, there maybe something in some of them...

5. Thank you so much. These ideas really help.
    I will say that the skills focus is writing and discussing a conclusion because we did the planning today and then we can have a discussion about the other materials and then talk about the paper and why it resisted the water going through for a while. Thank you...just having a stressy moment. Feel a bit happier about it now [​IMG] xx

6. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Ok couple of thoughts:

1. Did they say plastic because one brainy kid said it and they all jumped on the band wagon? I have about 8 kids in my class who all listen to the smart kids and then repeat what they say. If so- then you are justified in your lesson.

2. If you think they already know the answer - why are you teaching this lesson? Could you not go onto the next step?

3. What about, saying "Class 5 say that plastic is the best waterproof material. Prove it." and throw in some curve ball materials or something. Could you change it to 'heat proof' or strongest?

7. Cupsy

Cupsy New commenter

Could you tell the children there is a shortage of plastic and the company that makes the raincoats are having to find a suitable alternative. Their job is to make suggestions and test to find the best material for the job.

8. They're year 1. Focus is on helping a teddy with a waterproof jacket. :)
    Thank you xx

9. I think a few of them have copied the clever one in the class to be honest. What I really want is for them to understand why plastic is good and why the others aren't and then the skills focus on writing a conclusion...they're year 1 and they've also got to fill in a table so there's quite a lot for them to do.

Was going to film them at the end during plenary and have a few of them saying why plastic is good, why felt isn't etc and then I am going to 'email' it to the teddy and then the teddy appears at the door with a plastic rain coat on and says thank you to the kids.
    Do you think this is ok?