1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Stressed and confused about 1:1 role

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Afarid786, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Afarid786

Afarid786 New commenter

I am wondering if there is anyone in a similar situation to me any comments will be much appreciated.

So I've started working in a new school as a 1:1 support with a child in year 2. However I am really struggling as I have to also work with the lowest group in the class who are needy and behaviour wise challenging. I can't seem to support my 1:1 and manage the rest of the group. I've always loved being a 1:1 ta however I can't seem to control my group in making sure they understand and are on task as my 1:1 needs seperate support from the rest. As soon as I start helping everyone else he is left there doing nothing. I have come home crying especially after being observed which I know was bad because I could not control my group. Help what should I do? I feel like I am not good enough :(

2. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

It sounds hard. I would revisit your job description (check the wording) and then have a chat with the SENCO and class teacher about "how do you suggest I approach it if...?"
    Not so much "not good enough" as "not got super powers".

3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Ask the observer how it's to be done!

I doubt the group will be taken from you. So you'll have to cope somehow.

Early days. Early days. What on earth has the class teacher has to say? You should have been given plenty of strategies. Ask the class teacher for stickers and charts and what rewards you can give for good behaviour. But the class teacher should be ensuring they don't muck about. Both by ensuring that you know what to do and s/he keeps a lid on things!

I'm blaming the teacher. And I AM the SEN/Primary teacher so I know where the buck stops. It's not with you.

4. frustum

frustum Star commenter

If the child is entitled to the 1:1 support, that has to be the first priority. With some children, that targeted support can be shared with others who are working at a similar level, but it sounds as if that's not the case here. Are you always with the least able group? That's not good either - they're entitled to teacher input (and whilst you may give perfectly good support, you can't while your main focus is the 1:1). Maybe the teacher should work with that group more often, putting you and your 1:1 with a more able group. The sort of support needed in a more able group might be easier to give alongside working with your 1:1.

5. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

The fact that the teacher has apparently landed you in it doesn't do her/him credit. Looks like you've been dumped on.

So you will have to ask them for support. And it's jolly well up to them to provide it! It's their bloody CLASS!

Flanks, pepper5, agathamorse and 2 others like this.
  6. LeftTheBuilding

LeftTheBuilding Occasional commenter

You shouldn't be expected to. Look up "Quality First Teaching" and "Every teacher is a teacher of SEND ". You're a TA, not a miracle worker

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
  7. LeftTheBuilding

LeftTheBuilding Occasional commenter

If a colleague said this to me, I'd tell them to speak to their line manager, honestly and openly. It's not easy to do - I've been there - but if you don't say anything, everyone will assume you're OK. By acknowledging your own needs and asking for help, you're showing self-respect, which means you're more likely to be respected in return.

grumpydogwoman and agathamorse like this.
  8. george1963

george1963 Occasional commenter

Okay the phrase, "I can't control my group" I have an issue with. Youre not supposed to be controlling them. Can you unpick the issues?

Is the work the right level for the children? Chances are they are being rushed through to 'complete' the worksheet rather than truly understand the concepts. I'm guilty of this in my own class with the TA as I sometimes have 6 or 7 differrent lessons each day and choose to take the time to plan one or two really well to cater for the needs of ALL. the others I skip through to do something that will give evidence in books.

Is the work fun, engaging etc? I'm not saying it's got to be fun but if children are engaged, eg. concrete materials in maths, they will occupy themselves. :) Photographic evidence etc.

So both of these are probably the responsibility of the class teacher?

Other than that, talk to children with respect. Ask them questions, find their interrests, appreciate them as indivuals, eg. fred needs firmness, tariq needs softness and all the levels inbetween.

And finally, ask to observe other TAs, ask to clarify your priorities (e.g. is it 1 to 1 with a secondary goal to support LA groups? That should put a very different spin on any lesson obervation focus.

Best wishes, :)

Bumptious likes this.