1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

stress

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by scottdog32, Apr 9, 2012.

1. I just want to know what peoples opinions are on stress? If stress is on my record (a two week period prior to leaving a EBD school) will this effect my future when applying for jobs in mainstream? Will employers feel that I am someone who is unable to cope, they wont know the circumstances surrounding my stress will they even care? Or do people just think Im worrying too much?

2. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

You're worrying too much. Prospective employers have no right to ask about periods of absence for sickness and if such a question appears on any old style application forms you do not have to answer it - So in essence no one need know.

3. So I dont have to say its stress I can just say Ive had two weeks absence in the last however many years? If so I feel much better thank you

4. You don't even need to say this - you can't be asked about your absences any more [​IMG]

5. Really?? How fabtastic! Ive never had time off, I think its like 2 days in the last 6 years or so but Im worrying a situation may arise and I may have to have the time off. Thank you Happy Rabbit, you have made me happy!

6. I am so pleased I have made you happy [​IMG] It is relatively recent; I was looking for a new job this year and was actually signed off when I was interviewed and appointed to my new position, but wasn't asked about time off so honestly, don't worry about it and I hope you soon feel better. Stress is horrid. x

7. That is interesting but what is the basis for saying that the number of absences are not revealed to prospective employers?. And when did it change? Don't references include a comment about absences?

8. The laws changed very recently, I believe. Certainly, when I was interviewed and appointed to my post (which started September 11 - I had my interview in May) I was asked about time off.
    When I was interviewed for the post I commence shortly,the application form did not ask about absence and nor did the headteacher, at interview (he actually said "I am not allowed to ask you about absence, so I won't!")
    I don't know exactly when it changed but certainly at some point in the last eight to ten months, I imagine.
    My reference did not ask about absence, but I suppose there is nothing to stop one Head ringing another.

9. aw27

aw27 New commenter

It came into force with the Equality Act in October 2010.
    This explains it quite simply: http://www.edwincoe.com/storehouse/newslettersandbriefingnotes/2010_07_equality_act_briefing_note_sept_2010.pdf

10. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

It changed under the Equality Act 2010 from 1st October 2010. See the Q&A with DfE on the DfE page on TES here (item headeed 'Recruitment Questions'):
    https://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storyCode=6158154
    You can't ask a health question before making a job offer but you can ask a health question in some circumstances after making a job offer (ie appointment is subject to meeting the teacher health standard rules).

11. Yes, but Heads talk don't they? All it takes is a phone call.

12. Anyone who's interested in finding out more about what stress is can download my free report 'The Truth About Stress' on my website.

Stress is something I am passionate about helping people understand due to my own experiences, it isn't fun but you maybe surprised by what I point to in the report.

Hope this is useful

http://www.insidespark.com/stress-management/stress-management-coaching-program-for-business/

Jamie

13. Anyone who's interested in finding out more about what stress is can download my free report 'The Truth About Stress' on my website.

Stress is something I am passionate about helping people understand due to my own experiences, it isn't fun but you maybe surprised by what I point to in the report.

Hope this is useful

http://www.insidespark.com/

Jamie

14. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

[​IMG]
    Well it made me laugh.