1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Stress

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by pink_25, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Hi folks,
    I just wondered if anyone can give me any advice. I have been on anti depressants for some time now and normally things are ok. However lately, I have been feeling completely ovewhelmed and stressed. I feel like I am in a fog and can't see how to get out. There have been some things that have gone on at work that may have contributed to this, but I just feel useless. I now dread going into school and when at home all I think about is work or how down I am feeling. I generally feel exhausted and can't sleep properly, I often have headaches and feel sick. I am wondering if this is stress. I have always avoided taking time off work as I feel guilty not going in, but I am wondering if I need to get myself signed off for a while. I feel like I need to, but am struggling with the feeling of guilt of being a weak member of the team and leaving my class.

If I do go to the doctor and get signed off, does the doctor have to say I am stressed or can it be marked as something else? Also, how would being signed off with stress affect my job and future job prospects? Is it something that will be held against me in future job applications?

Teaching is something I love and I dont want to give it up, but if this is the cause I am willing to think of alternatives. I dont think it is neccessarily the cause and perhaps this is just a rough patch.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. xx

2. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Welcome to TES, pink.

3. Thanks

4. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Hi Pink. You need to go to see your GP and tell them everything that you have written here. You don't sound very well to me. Trying to struggle on and "work through it" won't help you, I'm afraid. Take care of yourself, and let us know how you get on.

5. Hi,
    I am currently signed off ( middle of 2 weeks ) for stress and depression. I think the anti depressants have just started to kick in but the thought of returning to work brings on anxiety. I am thinking of asking my doctor if I can recommended for a phased return to work, as the week I am due to return I have 2 parent evenings and a class assembly to face. I get paid for 4 days a week and usually end up actually working 45 hours per week.
    I would definately recommend getting yourself signed off before your depression gets worse. We all hate to do this, being a caring profession but they CAN manage without a stressed and un-enthusiastic teacher ( as I was fast becomming)
    My head is not a sympathetic person and makes us all feel inadequate for not keeping all the balls in teh air. I try to communicate through the deputy who is much more approachable.
    Most of our staff are stressed, and 3-4 that I know of are on medication of some kind for anxiety related problems.
    Not sure if this makes you feel any better, but having time off enabled me to actually realise I am not myself - not well and needed help.
    It makes me sad that a job I love has made me unwell ( or rather the way we are expected to do everything that is expected)
    HOpe you take time off.
    xx

6. I would suggest seeing your GP too. You can't carry on struggling through like this because eventually it will get worse. I am in a similar position, have already been signed off for 5 weeks. It's really hard coming to terms with the guilt and the feeling of inadequacy but I realised that I couldn't actually continue......I'm now looking at alternatives as my confidence has taken such a battering that I'm not sure I can do this job well any more. I hope you take some time off and start to feel better soon xx

7. Ruthie66

Ruthie66 New commenter

Hi Pink - yes definitely see the doc. It sounds like your anti-depressants might need a dose alteration or changing to something else.
    Hope you feel better soon

8. Don't even think about what happens with your job or make any decisions based on anything other than your health. Go to your GP, follow their advice, and deal with anything else that comes in the future, in the future.

This might be of help to you when you start thinking about the implications on your job prospects: Ten Tips
    To Help You Get Another Teaching Job After A Bad Experience

9. millicent_bystander

millicent_bystander New commenter

I heartily agree with this advice, it's where I am now. I also tried looking at the link, but it doesn't seem to work ...