1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Stress of teaching and having a family.

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by russblue41, Jul 11, 2012.

1. It is a tragic story but there was obviously a lot more to the lady's problem than just juggling work and motherhood.It seems that she was also very ill.
    I went back to work full time after both my daughters were born and, yes it creates extra pressure due to not having any downtime and the guilt feelings, but for most people it is doable. When you throw depression into the mix then it obviously wasn't in this case. Of course there are different reasons and levels of depression, so a mix of baby, work and depression wouldn't necessarily cause this outcome and, as it is a rare event, generally don't.
    I feel terribly sorry for this lady's family and friends but I don't think that it is helpful to blame the cause on one simplistic factor.

2. I cannot really add anything to what EmilyIsobel has written, as I fully agree. Working and having children is hard work for anybody (I have 4 and went back to work full time when they were all 4 and under) but there are many, many women in this situation who don't take such tragic actions. There must have been many other factors - mental health issues being one of them, I would think.

3. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

So do I. I can't see anything in the article to suggest that teaching was specifically responsible for her suicide.

4. scienceteacha

scienceteacha New commenter

Although depression is relatively common, particularly so when you throw in looking after kids and postnatal hormones etc, it takes something else to lead to suicide.

5. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

A tragic story.. but honestly everyone has different 'trip' points when it comes to stress and there are a zenith of examples of teachers who successfully 'juggle' being a mother with their profession.

6. FollyFairy

FollyFairy Occasional commenter

I agree with above - as someone who has two children and suffered severe PND with both - it was not the returning to work that caused or triggered my PND, but it was just another factor... as for being obsessed by the film, 'Officer and a Gentleman', I too have been obsessed for years by this film, not because of the suicide scene, but by scrummy Richard Gere!