1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

STRESS MOAN

Discussion in 'Part-time and job share' started by samoneypenny1, Jan 7, 2018.

1. samoneypenny1

samoneypenny1 New commenter

I had time off in Feb and March last year with stress, I taught GCSE but only work two days and it was simply too much. For September I was given KS3 only which massively helped. Still lots to do and more responsibility piled on, but more managaeable. THEN my colleague who teaches GCSE went off with stress and they had me temporarily teaching her classes on those days. I took over 4 GCSE classes. Turns out she’s not returning tomorrow and is still signed off. I am beyond stressed out at the idea, not sleeping well etc. The school has ridiculously high expectations and I have about 8 days of work to fit into my two days, plus all the pressure of GCSE.

On one level I’d like to prove what I can achieve. But realistically I’m overloaded and panicked.

It’s an Academy and I had to sign a document saying I wouldn’t be sick for more then two days in the next 4 months. But I feel like they’ve moved the goal posts now!

I used to love the school I work at but a change in head and a new head of department who doesn’t know the subject AT ALL and I feel doomed to fail.

2. hs9981

hs9981 Established commenter

Tell the executive Head to teach the classes. What were the mock results like (assuming they did them before Christmas?)

3. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Mrs Cazorla has discovered that part-time doesn't equal an easier life. She works ridiculously late marking and planning and that's on a 3 day week. She won't listen to my advice so I'll try it on you instead.

Get out now.
    Decide if it's the school or the job and leave it for the sake of your physical and mental health.

You've got to know when to walk away
    Know when to run.
    Kenny Rogers - The Gambler

Bumptious, tallpoppy71 and pepper5 like this.
  4. BarryIsland

BarryIsland New commenter

I think unfortunately as long as they are not giving you more than a 90% teaching timetable (of your 2 days) they're entitled to give you which ever classes they wish. Teachers' contracts usually mean you can be directed in that 90% however they need to use you.
    Regarding signing to say you won't be I'll for more than 2 days, do they expect you to have the gift of prophecy? How can that be acceptable?

tallpoppy71 likes this.
  5. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Take John's wise advice. I foolishly took on a part time supply contract which is WAY less of a load than yours and I am already depressed . The only thing that keeps my sanity intact is that the post is TEMPORARY. Until end of term. I can't even imagine what you are going through.

Call your union and the Teacher Support Partnership.

Make a plan to leave as your health and well being is more important than anything.

Let the school figure it out - you have nothing to prove.

tallpoppy71 and JohnJCazorla like this.