1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Stress impact on performance at work

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by marsbarhead, Jun 16, 2019.

1. marsbarhead

marsbarhead New commenter

I have a sick note, from my GP, because of stress and anxiety. Prior to this sick note, my conduct at work had been called into question by senior leaders. I believe this was because of my stress and anxiety and I wasn’t well. I just didn’t realise at the time that my mental health was spiralling out I’d control. I’ve been teaching at the same school for almost 20 years with no history of my conduct being questioned.
    Where do I stand with regards when I return to work? Will my conduct whist ill mean there are grounds for dismissal?
    Can I apply for another job whilst on sick leave and would this affect my claims of breaching my code of conduct whist not well? Can the school continue the proceedings on my return? Will my mental health be taken into account?

2. 50sman

50sman Senior commenter

BREATHE

Now BREATHE again

If you can write down what you think the conduct at work is and what the evidence is

Write down how your mental health is being affected

now contact your union

3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Chickens and eggs!

You were stressed. You may or may not have done something untoward that's deserving of scrutiny. That made you more stressed and you crumbled. Now you're stressed about being stressed etc etc etc.

Yes. Breathe. In for 5. Hold for 3. Out for 5. Slowly. Repeat.

What do YOU want?

To go back to the same school? Yes?

But not under a cloud? Well, I think you may have to face up to whatever you did (or whatever it's claimed you did) and deal with it. Best that you do that. Get better. Go back. Tough it out. Accept that you may have done something a bit off the wall. Accept any consequences. Start again. But this time get better at managing your work-life balance.

Contact your union. Write things down. One step at a time. Logically. Without emotion.

4. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

You are unwell.

At present, you cannot go for interviews as you are on sick leave without permission from the HT, I believe. Seek advice from your Union.

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Depends on what your conduct was.
    Yes, you can apply for other posts, but as @CWadd says, you will need permission from your head to attend an interview while off sick.
    You have also missed the deadline for resignation, so are in post until Christmas if all stays as normal.
    Yes, of course they can proceed on your return. They can also proceed while you are off sick.
    Your mental health should form part of your defence, should there be a hearing.

You must get advice from your union for all the bits you are fretting about.
    You can tell them details about poor performance and/or poor conduct. You can tell them about the causes of the stress and anxiety. Then they can help and advise on a way forward.

Corvuscorax and JohnJCazorla like this.
  6. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Lead commenter

Yes you can be held accountable and depending on the conduct you can be dismissed.

Without detailed information it is difficult to give any sort of meaningful advice as I am not an employment lawyer.

7. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Yes, because if you did do something untoward then it's only right that you have to answer for that. You can bring up workload and stress as a mitigating factor if you think it's relevant.

IH11 likes this.
  8. i4004

i4004 New commenter

9. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Senior commenter