1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

stress at work

Discussion in 'Personal' started by yirg, Feb 6, 2012.

1. I'm in the same boat, welcome aboard, although I am currently on sick leave (8months and counting). I am exceptionally unlikely to return and have been advised not too. My feeling are exactly like yours. I'm trying to figure out what my purpose in life is now. Sadly I don't have any suggestions on what to do next, I wish I did. But you are certainly not alone.

2. acertainsomething

acertainsomething Occasional commenter

Is it just me or does it seem that bullying in the work place is more prevalent amongst schools,. I have 3 friends going through that and in each case the SMT has been made up purely of women. Probably a coincidence but all the same an interesting fact.

3. I was in the same position. I returned to work for a further two terms and then I resigned. I felt useless and purposeless and didn't really know what I was going to do. I am now doing casual supply work and loving it. I have all the pleasure of working with the children but none of the hassle and politics from management. If I go into a school I don't like I don't have to go back. That has only been the case in one school so far. Luckily I am old enough that I could take my pension, though this was several years earlier than I had anticipated, so I don't need full time money. I am also a primary teacher where supply is still available, unlike secondary where it's virtually dead.
    It is a horrible position to be in and I feel for all of you suffering at the hands of others.

4. Gardening Leaves

Gardening Leaves New commenter

Sadly, there is a lot of it about in teaching. My own theory is that it has increased as a consequence of more and more external pressure being put on Heads to raise standards. Those who might once have considered Headship frequently make the decision that it's just not worth the stress and loss of work-life balance, which means that inappropriate people are recuited to Headship. The problem is exaccerbated in challenging areas with difficult schools. Employers are too willing to collude with bullying Heads, rather than face a large payout.
    Unions, who should be taking a lead to challenge workplace bullying have been strangely silent and ineffective. A recent FoI request revelaed that not one single teaching union has ever taken a case to court for a member under the Protection from Harassment Act - the relevant legislation to challenge bullying. They are too content to negotiate a way out for a member, usually via a compromise agreement and seem to think members should be pleased with that. It needs joint action brought by unions for a handful of victims, where the payout is in 6 or 7 figures, for employers to realise that they cannot get away with it any longer.
    The psychologist who treated me for PTSD caused by bullying, said he sees more teachers and members of the health service than everyone else put together. A University of Manchester study in 2000 found that as many as 1 in 4 teachers found themselves to be victims of bullying at some point in their careers.
    As awful as your experience has been, OP, it would be a shame to turn your back on teaching. The statistics above also mean that 3 out of 4 teachers will not experience bullying. There are many good schools and Heads out there and plenty of stories on the forums ('Workplace Dilemmas' carries a lot of bullying threads...) of people who have moved on, after a bad experience and have found happiness and success in a new school.

5. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Thought that was a balanced and fair appraisal by Gardening Leaves [​IMG]
    Skills? Interests? Previous qualies? Aspirations?

6. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

Welcome to the boat!
    Jumped ship in similar circumstances last year. Now facing financial insecurity. I do supply but it's very ad-hoc.
    Gardening leaves has hit the nail on the head (or should that be spotted the weed), Unions seem very reluctant to actually DO anything, but then again their hands are tied, it's very difficult to be determined enough to go through the procedure of taking it further in the face on the mental pressure such a process brings.
    I scan the job sites, but find little that doesn't demand previous experience.

7. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

Welcome to the boat!
    Jumped ship last year after short but pointed pressure. Can't find anything other than supply, which is very ad-hoc, now facing financial insecurity.
    I agree. However the unions won't take it further because there are few people who could stand the mental pressure a prolonged process through the courts would be. I have to say though, I felt let down by them.
    Oops thought I'd lost that post!!

8. I cannot offer suggestions as am feeling the same. It is not SMT, but a particular colleague. I have lost all confidence and just want to cry all the time.

9. Have you thought about joining a revision coaching company? I was fortunate enough to be accepted at 2 (one of whom is a well-known national company) last November and have never looked back since! The hours suit me very well (2-3 days a week with 2-3 hours each day for one company and for 18 hours per course during the hlidays with another company) and the pay is great! Best of all, for the first time in 2 years, I am actually treated as a well-qualified and experienced professional with gratitude for what I can offer!
    In the long-term, I realise that I will need to return to part-time college teaching (I'm an A-level teacher) at some point but this work gives me the confidence and experience I need to take life more gently while I recover from my recent stress related illness.

10. Hello,

I also left teaching because of bullying, and I wrote this a while ago which might be of use:

Careers To Try After Teaching

Bullying is absolutely endemic in teaching. I think there is starting to be some major action against it which has me really hopeful, there was a walk out in Lancashire because of a bullying head and I also heard there were several schools in Sheffield banding together for a strike over a number of issues, one of which was bullying.

Teachers threaten industrial action over bullying and workload

Controversial Darwen Vale headteacher quits in row over discipline

11. Have been in your position...made me physically unwell and left at christmas. Now doing some 1:1 and signed up for supply. Thinking about reapplying for jobs in september because I still love the job

12. slippeddisc

slippeddisc New commenter

I left after stress, bullying and a rediculous workload was making me an emotional wreck. I quickly found a new job and I love it (non teaching). I was also offered 2 jobs in other schools which I turned down as I'd already been offered a job outside of teaching. In a month of supply I had a fair few interviews and I was pretty down but it all worked out really quickly. I am now back to my old self and I'm happy again.
    I am only posting this to make you see that sometimes things do work out for the best. I wish you all the good luck in the world and I'm sure you'll find something great soon.