1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Stress and Health

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by curlcurlcurl, Oct 9, 2018.

1. curlcurlcurl

curlcurlcurl Occasional commenter

How many of you have ‘soldiered on’ going into work despite having very clear symptoms of stress impacting your health - either physically or mentally?

Did it cause you bigger health problems in the long run? What would your advice be to someone currently feeling the effects of stress but trying to continue as normal, hoping it will go away soon?

Teapot345 and pepper5 like this.
  2. SCAW12

SCAW12 Occasional commenter

I find sometimes I am so stressed that I cannot sleep or I feel so overwhelmed I want to cry e.g. two weeks ago but following that I have had two easier weeks and have slept much better/not cried. I think it is important to know when you have reached your limit too. For example I worked really hard last week and told myself 'enough, no working this weekend' and did not work last weekend. I also have a good LM who I can talk to about workload. Long term stress is different though. I hope you are okay. Talk to someone close.

3. ATfan

ATfan Star commenter

@curlcurlcurl Yes to both and it took me a LONG time to recover. My advice would be for said person to speak to his/her GP pronto because it won't go away. I've heard that the Education Support Partnership is also helpful, although I've never spoken to anyone there. Hope this answer helps!

pepper5 likes this.
  4. lynneseptember

lynneseptember Senior commenter

It really “won’t go away soon” - my advice would be to seek help. I agree with @ATfan.

ATfan and pepper5 like this.
  5. curlcurlcurl

Thanks for all of the helpful responses. It really does highlight how, as a profession, we often feel the need to ignore warning signs and force ourselves to continue as normal when it can often be to our detriment.

ATfan likes this.
  6. peapicker

peapicker Star commenter

Contrast that with our doctor daughter, also currently off with stress. She's been off a month already, but in a meeting with work last week, she was told in no uncertain terms that she was not even to think about going back to work until the end of November.

They have also looked with her at the causes of the stress and found ways of removing them. They have arranged a course of CBT for her.

See your doctor for advice and treatment. Do not consider going back until you and your doctor know you are well enough. If you go back before you are better and nothing is done about the conditions that caused the workplace stress in the first place, you will be ill again.

rosievoice and ATfan like this.
  7. ATfan

ATfan Star commenter

Or in many cases, it's not so much that we are ignoring the warning signs. It's more a case of we need to be away from the environment which is either causing or adding to the problem, but we cannot for various reasons (e.g. no better job to go to or fear of the consequences of leaving etc). In my case, it was made worse because I was fobbed off when I said that I needed support.

8. curlcurlcurl

This is definitely my issue at the moment - fear of the consequences. I realised being away from work over half term and feeling much better in myself that the environment is causing me a lot of stress. Now, at the day before returning, i'm beginning to feel that cloud returning over me once more.

ATfan likes this.
  9. ATfan

ATfan Star commenter

That's exactly how I felt. In the end, I got to the point where I didn't want my life to be like that anymore and realised that ending it all (I never actually tried to or planned to but the thought was there because it seemed like a logical way of putting a stop to the misery that my life had become) was worth it (my bosses wouldn't have given a stuff) and then decided that I had a choice and wasn't going to continue as I was. I still remember how relieved I was when for the first time in many years, someone said, I'll do something for you instead of me having to do everything to make things happen, as well as being reassured that my instincts that it was the environment causing the problem were correct. I'm now in a much better place both mentally and professionally.

If this is the road, you're going down, please go and see a good GP for help. You don't have to put up with a working environment that's making you feel ill. Jobs come and go, your health won't come back easily once it's gone.

Hope this helps

10. curlcurlcurl

Thank you. It’s really useful to hear other people’s experiences and see that the way to put it right is to do something. Taking that first step and admitting I need a little help is the hardest but hopefully I’ll find some strength to do this soon.

ATfan likes this.
  11. ATfan

ATfan Star commenter

That's good. In my case, what drove me was the fact that I knew my bosses wouldn't have given a toss if I'd done anything. After speaking to my GP, the rest was a lot easier. Also, don't worry about the students! If yours are anything like mine were, they will understand (off, I didn't tell them everything! i mean that they understood the reasons for suddenly taking a long period of absence)! Good luck and feel free to talk to me at any time on this thread or privately if you want to! :)

12. curlcurlcurl

The anxiousness isn’t really subsiding but I did manage to muster up some courage to go for an interview at another school and took a small pay cut for some big peace of mind. The negative feelings haven’t gone away, but I feel a hell of a lot better knowing I have a limited number of weeks left at a place that is crushing my enthusiasm for teaching. Fingers crossed that will get me through until Xmas.

13. ATfan

ATfan Star commenter

Fantastic news! I'm sure you will! I got through my last days at the job in question by taking one day at a time and doing one thing at a time when I found things particularly hard. II don't know if this would help you. You could buy yourself a calendar and mark off the days too (or just get a chocolate one-one childhood habit, I refuse to give up).

Good luck!

14. marts66

marts66 New commenter

The long term effects it has had on me are hypertension, severe depression and is probably linked to my border line diabetes and high cholesterol. Since being signed off my BP has decreased but is still an issue. I echo everyone else's advice which is to see your GP as soon as possible if your new position doesn't help. It would be frying pan and fire for me as I've had enough completely. I hope it works out for you though curl.

15. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

No long term physical or mental problems but it didn't just go away. I had to have time off to get better. I was pretty much ready to leave teaching but I have been lucky to make a full recovery.

16. i4004

i4004 New commenter