1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Street dance KS2

Discussion in 'Primary' started by tpt51, Feb 24, 2011.

1. tpt51

tpt51 New commenter

I'm trying to make PE more interesting for the kids and would love to try something like street dance. However, I have zero experience of this, and wouldn't know where to start let alone make a unit plan. Has anyone tried this? Has anyone got some materials or resources that they could share?

Thanks

2. DeeDog

DeeDog New commenter

I haven't taught this, but at uni we had a street dance lesson, where the lecturer showed us the Citroen TV advert where it turns into a person, like a transformer.

We took one move, e.g. crossed legs and spun around, and practiced that in our pairs. We then joined with another pair and put them into a sequence. Then we added another step. Finally we were asked to look at our levels and how we were moving.

I really enjoyed it and know my Year 5's would too!

3. marlin

marlin Star commenter

4. tpt51

tpt51 New commenter

Thanks for the replies so far

This is an area that I have very little knowledge of at all ao I would appreciate any suggestions for music, any steps that people recommend - or even better a scheme of work/book/online video that would help me to get started.

5. Have you watched Carmen electra?
    She has a hip hop DVD that teaches you hip hop moves but just make the arms more child friendly.
    Also watch Dance movies to help step up 2, honey, music videos.

Id make up a simple dance myself schemes make street dance rigid and boring.

type in
    Carmen electra hip hop work out into youtube ull get it up x