1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Streaming in year 7 based on ks2 sats results -question!

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by sitdownnow, Mar 16, 2011.

1. My son is in year 6 and the school he is going to in year 7 says it streams based on ks2 sats results.
    My son is predicted a level 5 for maths, and he is a consistent level 5 for reading but he is going to struggle to get a 4 for his writing tbh. Obviously the reading level will pull up the overall 'english' level but i was wondering how this will affect his streaming?
    Will he be streamed based on the overall mark or will the individual scores be used?

Thanks in advance -if anyone can help!!!

2. strawbs

strawbs Occasional commenter

not wanting to sound patronising, but do they "stream" for sure, or do they "set" ? - the 2 can be very different

3. blazer

blazer Star commenter

They may have a problem setting as not all schools do the SATs these days. About 25% of our cohort last year didn't and so we had to test all on emtry to put them in sets. But if your son is a little weak in some areas it may not do him any favours by being in top set and struggling to cope. It may be better to be in a middle set where the class is working at an appropriate level.

4. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

We still have no prior attainment data for our year 7 students.
    Teachers usually only get given three integers (e.g. good, middle, struggling). It's not very useful and doesn't tell us anything we can't work out in a couple of weeks.
    P

5. ferrisbueller

ferrisbueller New commenter

Setting or streaming in Year 7 is just plain wrong!! Give students a chance to show what they can do, with good differentiation, and all can improve attainment.

6. strawbs

Hmmm..don't agree with that - by year 7 there is already a 4to5 level gap between our weakest and strongest (Maths) - we have those coming in at level 1or2 at most, and those who've maxed out level 5 at KS3 and are well into level 6.
    The interests of both are not best served in a mixed ability class. IMO.

7. strawbs

BTW - all <u>do</u> improve attainment - but in their own ways at their own pace!

8. ok-the 'official line ' is ;

Upon entry into Year 7 students are organised into one of two bands for Mathematics, English and French. The teaching sets within each of the two bands are based on ability within each subject and are informed by results in the KS2 tests

9. That's setting rather than streaming. The bands will simply be half a year group (for example 4 tutor groups in an 8 form entry school). Within a band your son could be in top set maths and middle set English. That's my interpretation anyway.

10. strawbs

mine as well. Unless the bands themselves are streamed, of course! (ie top band, bottom band).
    However the model as described above with 2 parallel "populations" is very common in secondaries.

11. thanks everyone

he is a worry-he really is