1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Strathclyde Uni PGDE History

Discussion in 'Scotland - prospective teachers' started by joanmcdade, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Hi, Does anyone know the number of places for intake session 2012 / 2013 or do you know the numbers they had this year?
    thanks
    Joan

2. amysdad

amysdad Occasional commenter

Hi Joan,

From conversations in class, they have about 15 students doing History this year, I think (I'm doing Modern Studies and we have 15.)

3. That low?! I am applying this year, but not holding out much hope with numbers like that!
    Are these numbers similar to Aberdeen and Edinburgh also?

4. Do you know if you can do both history and modern studies pgde?

5. As far as I'm aware, you can't.

I've got joint Honours History and Politics and would've like to have done this.

Does anyone know if you can apply for Mod Studs and History at different universities?

Is there a limit as to how many unis/courses you can apply to, ie. can I apply for History AND Mod Studs separately at ALL of the universities offering them?

6. There is no Modern Studies at Moray House, not sure about elsewhere.

7. amysdad

You can't qualify in two subjects now - last year's group were the last to do this (I'd wanted to as well, but couldn't.)

You can mix and match in your application - I had Modern Studies at Strathclyde as my first shot, History in Edinburgh as second, Modern Studies at Glasgow for third, History at Strathclyde for fourth and History at Glasgow for fifth.
    Only Strathclyde, Glasgow and Aberdeen offer Modern Studies.
    Finally, the numbers - certainly for Modern Studies - are very low just now. We started with 15 (down to 13 now) but I understand Glasgow only had about 7 and Aberdeen was similar. Can't see these increasing any time soon, I'm afraid.

8. amysdad

The overall numbers are up for next year, apparently, but I don't know how many they're interviewing for this year.

It's kind of difficult to advise, really. It's not so much about odd questions, more who you get. I know the tutor is doing it, but I'm not sure who with - could be one of a couple of people who've been with us in class this year.

In terms of tips, try to think about how to use IT in the classroom - videos, etc. If you've been teaching, give some examples of this. We had to do a presentation on a specific question - do you have something similar?