1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Strathclyde PGDE (primary) Interviews 2011

Discussion in 'Scotland - prospective teachers' started by ajelle10, Jan 8, 2011.

1. Hi,
    Does anyone have an interview coming up for strathclyde PGDE (primary)? I've got an interview on 4th of Feb and i'm getting really nervous about it. I've heard from people who have had an interview in the past that you need to give a short presentation, as there is nothing in the letter about this I'm assuming that we just have the 15 minute oral interview?? Does anybody know the intake? I have heard there are 70 places available but I have no idea how many will be attending interviews.
    x

2. Hi,

Am in the same boat as yourself, though have mine the day before yours. As far as I know it will be like last year, just an interview with a representative from the college, and a principal from a school, no more than 15 mins. Thankfully, no need for any kind of presentation!!

Haven't heard anything regarding the numbers yet, though I hope that they'll have more than 70. I think last year there were almost double that amount available.

3. I'm really glad there is no presentation as i'm nervous enough about the interview itself. Did you go in for it last year? Someone at my work told me that it was around 140 last year and they have halved it this year, i'm not sure if that's correct though.

4. Hi,

I spoke to one of the academic selectors for the course just before Christmas and she confirmed that places are likely to be around the same number as last year which I believe was 140. I am still waiting to hear back from strathclyde, I applied quite late so trying not to worry too much!

A xx

5. Hi,

I have an interview on the 3rd of Feb too. I am really nervous as there is so much they could ask. In previous years they have asked questions about how you would organise your classroom and I am not entirely sure what I would say to this. Anyone got any ideas?

6. Hi all,
    I have aninterview on 4th March and I can't remember the last time I felt so nervous and excited at the same time! I'm actually glad I didn't get an interview for Moray House as I don't much fancy the group discussion style of interview. I would much rather have an individual interview and I plan on using my 15 minutes to get across how utterly fabulous I am and what a wonderful teacher I would be!!
    I really need to get organised! Luckily, I know people who have their interviews this week, so I'm hoping for some tips!

Good luck all

7. I have my interview on Friday also! I am so nervous, but also very excited!
    Still havent decided what to wear yet either. Im not a "businessy" dress kind of person, but I want to be smart yet still wear something that shows my personality.
    It's scary as I know I have the skills, qualities and personality to be a teacher, but just have to make sure that it comes across in just 15 minutes! I tend to get very nervous at interviews, and not always portray myself as I should! I guess they will recognise nerves though!

Good luck everyone!

8. That's good you got some feedback, i bet it has put your mind at ease!
    I had mine yesterday and to be honest I dont think that it went very well. I felt that i didn't answer the questions to the best of my ability and I didn't really tell them how much i know about teaching.
    I'm kicking myself now but I suppose I'll just need to wait and see. I'm not too hopeful though! x

9. I'm sure you both did fine :) Did they say how many places there would be this year?
    Can I be a bit cheeky and ask what sort of questions they asked? I'm sure it will be more or less the same as last years as they pretty much covered everything, but I still panic incase they hit me with a bizarre one! [​IMG]

10. Mine was....alright, I guess. Who can tell...? The questions I got were basically:
    Why do you want to teach
    Has there been a teacher who has inspired you and why
    What skills does a teacher need
    How are these skills used in the classroom
    Current issues facing teachers in Scotland today

There may have been another one, but I don't actually remember.

11. Yup, its deffo put my mind at ease a bit! obv still nervous but at least I know i didnt do awful!!
    If i hadnt had the feedback i would prob be feeling the same as you, that I hadnt said enough, or didnt answer as well as I could, and apparently ive done well, so you never know!!
    x

12. let's not give away the questions... the process is going to be tough enough to get through without putting others at an advantage. I agree that it's difficult to remember, the moment I walked out I forgot everything I had said! Glad it's over, fingers crossed for us all now!

13. I hardly think letting everyone know what questions were asked on a particular day is giving the other interviewees an advantage! I was already thinking about what questions would come up when I found out through a friend what questions she was asked last week. I know for a fact they won't be asking the very same questions a month later, but at least I know what areas I should be researching and thinking about.
    I was actually more interested in what everyone was wearing as I haven't a clue! xx

14. Thanks! Exactly the same as last year then :) Hopefully I do better this time -- I was a nervous wreck last year :(

15. Last year everyone was very formal at my interviews in suits etc. I would never feel comfortable in a suit so I wore smart trousers and a smart blouse type top. Will be doing the same this year! As long as it smart and you feel comfortable I'm sure it will be fine.

16. I'm really not a businessy dress type of person, and I wanted to wear something that was more "me" so I wore a mustard coloured dress, with leggings underneath, and flat purple shoes. Most other people were wearing smart trousers or skirts with blouses and stuff though. I was much more casual, but I didnt feel underdressed.

17. Thanks guys! I was planning on wearing a smart top with trousers rather than a full suit!
    I'm still trying to find ways of coping with my nerves! I don't usually get nervous about interviews but I want this so badly!!
    Good luck to everyone!xx

18. I have an interview on the 4th of March for Strathclyde and was wondering if anyone could give me advice on the easiest/fastest way to get there. I am coming through from Edinburgh by train but am unsure of the best way to get to the campus from Queen Street station. Any advice would be much appreciated!! Thanks :)

19. I got the train from Central Station, and it was really easy. About 10 minutes to Jordanhill, and then about a 15 minute walk. I don't know about from Queen Street though as I'm not from Glasgow. I flew up in the morning for my interview. I think the network rail site has a journey planner which could help.

20. Hiya you can get a low level train from Queen Street (Westbound) then get off at Jordanhill then it's just a ten minute walk from there! Best to ask someone some directions when you get off the train! x