1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Strathclyde PGDE 2011-2012

Discussion in 'Scotland - prospective teachers' started by MissDelonge, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Actually I spoke to someone today, mix up with exam results.
    Interview on the 28th April which is a bit short notice. Is anyone else being intervied on this day and have an intinery as so I can begin to prepare?

2. Something had just occured to me, when they put a STOP next to my application,the reason given was pending exam grades. I wasn't awaiting any, so contacted the university and they said that it was just a default reason given and not to worry about it.

Stupid silly me, I am sitting comm's 4 and literature 1 at the moment, maybe those are the grades it meant. Didn't think it was an issue as I already have english qualifications, which as far as I am aware are enough. So phoned them there, they will get back to me.

Here is hoping there is an interview for me!

3. Hi i found out on wednesday i have an interview for pgde maths on the 28th its an interview and a presentation on a subject of your choice! Wat subject are u applyin for! Any ideas on presentations?

4. I only found out yesterday that I had the interview officially, later on that day I also got a rejection notice from gttr because I hadn't responded!

Having to wait until Tuesday to sort this mess out. Assuming it's a mistake.

Got an idea for the presentation, interview scares me more though! Anyone know what kind of questions strathclyde ask?

5. Hi,

I had my interview for secondary Maths a couple of months ago at Strathclyde. Don't worry too much about the day. At my interview, all the students were split up into groups ( irrespective of subject) and then everyone took it in turn to do their presentation to the group, with opportunities to ask questions. So, you can do your talk on anything. I think its really just to show that you can talk to a group and get your information across.
    My interview was fairly informal too - just a chat about why you want to teach, an opportunity for you to ask questions etc.
    Good luck!

6. hey!
    thank you thats has sort of put my mind at rest! I have a couple of ideas for presentations thinking quirky lolz! helengi have you found out the outcome of your interview yet?

7. hey
    Hope this post find you before the interview does. I went for an interview at strathclyde on the 23rd of march for english secondary teaching so different subject but same set up. The presentation topics were all really different and some really quirky. I was going to give a talk about english until the night before when someone told me it was awful lol so gave my presentation on frankenstein the play because I had seen it the week before. Other presentation topics were how to write a short story, tefl teaching, year abroad, dissertation topic, government guidleines on eductation, someone hated theatre and had a presentation on that. Absoloutely anything goes, at the start of the morning the guy had been telling us about someone else who had even given a presentation on breastfeeding! As well as stuff like baby names and gardening. Dont think it matters what the topic is but the most important thing is that whatever you talk about your enthusiatic and engaging.
    As for the interview they ask alot of the questions that you expect and they i think they tailor the questions to the answers you give. I got asked: what have you been reading lately and how could you teach this to children? They give you a scenario and say a pupil is kicking off what do you do? If i walked past your classroom and I look through the door what would I see? How would your classroom be set out and why? If you have experience, what have you learned from your experience? what is the most important lesson this has taught you about dealing with teenagers? They also asked about any recent developments in teaching which is where everyone wants to talk about the curriculum of excellence. However the guy said in the morning that he disliked the C of E so when I mentioned it he practically rolled his eyes, because everyone will. I tried to talk about some of the problems but that was only because I knew my interviewer didn't like it. That was kind of the basic questions, then they asked questions based on the answers I had given to those. They asked a few subject related ones as well. I was really worried about the interview but they try to make it as informal and relaxed as possible. I really didn't think I would get in because I don't have very much experience but I got a place so went better than I thought on the day.

Anyway, hope thats helpful. You can do the presentation about literally anything. Best of luck with both the presentation and the interview.

8. Nice one ^^, will be useful for alot of people.

I phoned them up, havent even looked at my application yet, had it since the 14th of Feb :( A little gutted, here is hoping they get round to looking at it and make a decision.

9. I'd try to speak to other people, I was given the same response until I found out that there was some confusion with a school grade and they were meant to ring me to sort it out. They never did until I rang them last week after the 3rd attempt.

The responses I've got from other people in this thread have been extremely helpful in building my confidence. I hope tomorrow goes well for us all!

10. How did everyone do?

11. Good advice generally, but please don't go in rubbishing CfE just because you think the interviewer "doesn't like it." You MUST talk about it, and you SHOULD talk about it positively, with reservations where necessary.

And the C of E is the Church of England, not Curriculum for Excellence... maybe that's where the eye rolling came in? [​IMG]

12. Obvious I wasn't telling anyone to go in and rubbish it. They will always ask you about the curriculum of excellence in the interview. I just meant that they hear about it a hundred times a day so they dont want the government leaflet repreated to them. So at least if you go in and try and offer your opinion on it or discuss some of the pros and cons then your answer will at least be a bit different. Not only did the two teachers who gave the interview dislike it but two other friends who are teachers also dislike it, so before I even got to the interview I was given an earbashing about all the problems with it. All I meant was that just because you have to know about it for the interview doesn't mean you have to go in and talk about how brilliant it is. If you think it seems complicated and there are alot of problems with it its fine to talk about that too.
    One thing I was told before the interview was that you dont have to know everything but you have to have an informed decision and you have to show that you have thought it through. It is easy enough to repeat the government guidelines but once you start talking about the pros and cons you start to show you have really thought about it and engaged with the topic. I

13. Obvious I wasn't telling anyone to go in and rubbish it. They will always ask you about the curriculum of excellence in the interview. I just meant that they hear about it a hundred times a day so they dont want the government leaflet repreated to them. So at least if you go in and try and offer your opinion on it or discuss some of the pros and cons then your answer will at least be a bit different. Not only did the two teachers who gave the interview dislike it but two other friends who are teachers also dislike it, so before I even got to the interview I was given an earbashing about all the problems with it. All I meant was that just because you have to know about it for the interview doesn't mean you have to go in and talk about how brilliant it is. If you think it seems complicated and there are alot of problems with it its fine to talk about that too.
    One thing I was told before the interview was that you dont have to know everything but you have to have an informed decision and you have to show that you have thought it through. It is easy enough to repeat the government guidelines but once you start talking about the pros and cons you start to show you have really thought about it and engaged with the topic. I
    should

14. Obvious I wasn't telling anyone to go in and rubbish it. They will always ask you about the curriculum of excellence in the interview. I just meant that they hear about it a hundred times a day so they dont want the government leaflet repreated to them. So at least if you go in and try and offer your opinion on it or discuss some of the pros and cons then your answer will at least be a bit different. Not only did the two teachers who gave the interview dislike it but two other friends who are teachers also dislike it, so before I even got to the interview I was given an earbashing about all the problems with it. All I meant was that just because you have to know about it for the interview doesn't mean you have to go in and talk about how brilliant it is. If you think it seems complicated and there are alot of problems with it its fine to talk about that too.
    should have

15. Obvious I wasn't telling anyone to go in and rubbish it. They will always ask you about the curriculum of excellence in the interview. I just meant that they hear about it a hundred times a day so they dont want the government leaflet repreated to them. So at least if you go in and try and offer your opinion on it or discuss some of the pros and cons then your answer will at least be a bit different. Not only did the two teachers who gave the interview dislike it but two other friends who are teachers also dislike it, so before I even got to the interview I was given an earbashing about all the problems with it. All I meant was that just because you have to know about it for the interview doesn't mean you have to go in and talk about how brilliant it is. If you think it seems complicated and there are alot of problems with it its fine to talk about that too.
    should have qualified

16. Obvious I wasn't telling anyone to go in and rubbish it. They will always ask you about the curriculum of excellence in the interview. I just meant that they hear about it a hundred times a day so they dont want the government leaflet repreated to them. So at least if you go in and try and offer your opinion on it or discuss some of the pros and cons then your answer will at least be a bit different. Not only did the two teachers who gave the interview dislike it but two other friends who are teachers also dislike it, so before I even got to the interview I was given an earbashing about all the problems with it. All I meant was that just because you have to know about it for the interview doesn't mean you have to go in and talk about how brilliant it is. If you think it seems complicated and there are alot of problems with it its fine to talk about that too.
    should have qualified by

17. Obvious I wasn't telling anyone to go in and rubbish it. They will always ask you about the curriculum of excellence in the interview. I just meant that they hear about it a hundred times a day so they dont want the government leaflet repreated to them. So at least if you go in and try and offer your opinion on it or discuss some of the pros and cons then your answer will at least be a bit different. Not only did the two teachers who gave the interview dislike it but two other friends who are teachers also dislike it, so before I even got to the interview I was given an earbashing about all the problems with it. All I meant was that just because you have to know about it for the interview doesn't mean you have to go in and talk about how brilliant it is. If you think it seems complicated and there are alot of problems with it its fine to talk about that too.
    should have qualified by saying

18. Obvious I wasn't telling anyone to go in and rubbish it. They will always ask you about the curriculum of excellence in the interview. I just meant that they hear about it a hundred times a day so they dont want the government leaflet repreated to them. So at least if you go in and try and offer your opinion on it or discuss some of the pros and cons then your answer will at least be a bit different. Not only did the two teachers who gave the interview dislike it but two other friends who are teachers also dislike it, so before I even got to the interview I was given an earbashing about all the problems with it. All I meant was that just because you have to know about it for the interview doesn't mean you have to go in and talk about how brilliant it is. If you think it seems complicated and there are alot of problems with it its fine to talk about that too.
    should have qualified by saying i

19. Obvious I wasn't telling anyone to go in and rubbish it. They will always ask you about the curriculum of excellence in the interview. I just meant that they hear about it a hundred times a day so they dont want the government leaflet repreated to them. So at least if you go in and try and offer your opinion on it or discuss some of the pros and cons then your answer will at least be a bit different. Not only did the two teachers who gave the interview dislike it but two other friends who are teachers also dislike it, so before I even got to the interview I was given an earbashing about all the problems with it. All I meant was that just because you have to know about it for the interview doesn't mean you have to go in and talk about how brilliant it is. If you think it seems complicated and there are alot of problems with it its fine to talk about that too.
    should have qualified by saying I talked

20. Obvious I wasn't telling anyone to go in and rubbish it. They will always ask you about the curriculum of excellence in the interview. I just meant that they hear about it a hundred times a day so they dont want the government leaflet repreated to them. So at least if you go in and try and offer your opinion on it or discuss some of the pros and cons then your answer will at least be a bit different. Not only did the two teachers who gave the interview dislike it but two other friends who are teachers also dislike it, so before I even got to the interview I was given an earbashing about all the problems with it. All I meant was that just because you have to know about it for the interview doesn't mean you have to go in and talk about how brilliant it is. If you think it seems complicated and there are alot of problems with it its fine to talk about that too.
    should have qualified by saying I talked a