1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Strathclyde PDGE (English) - 2nd choice query!

Discussion in 'Scotland - prospective teachers' started by ditavontstop, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Hello,

I recently found out I have been unsuccessful in gaining a place at Glasgow University after the interview process. My application has now been forwarded to Strathclyde. However, as this is a bit late in the day I am worried I won't get an interview. Has anyone else been in a similar position?

I have emailed Glasgow for feedback and noticed in their automated response email a FAQ section that stated applicants for secondary PGDE should have at least 2 weeks experience in a classroom - solid weeks or made up in individual days. My only experience is 8 days in a high school and they weren't even full days, just the first 4 periods. I'm worried this has hindered me and wonder if I should postpone til next year and get some more experience under my belt? I have also been a Leader in arts + crafts at a youth club for 11-15 year olds one night a week since the beginning of December.

If I do manage to get an interview for Strathclyde, I obviously want it to go better than my Glasgow one did so any advice/tips would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for the long, rambling post haha.

- Erin.

2. Hello,

I recently found out I have been unsuccessful in gaining a place at Glasgow University after the interview process. My application has now been forwarded to Strathclyde. However, as this is a bit late in the day I am worried I won't get an interview. Has anyone else been in a similar position?

I have emailed Glasgow for feedback and noticed in their automated response email a FAQ section that stated applicants for secondary PGDE should have at least 2 weeks experience in a classroom - solid weeks or made up in individual days. My only experience is 8 days in a high school and they weren't even full days, just the first 4 periods. I'm worried this has hindered me and wonder if I should postpone til next year and get some more experience under my belt? I have also been a Leader in arts + crafts at a youth club for 11-15 year olds one night a week since the beginning of December.

If I do manage to get an interview for Strathclyde, I obviously want it to go better than my Glasgow one did so any advice/tips would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for the long, rambling post haha.

- Erin.

3. If you get an interview for Strathclyde, go for it anyway because the interview experience is always good. Firstly be proud that you have had an interview at Glasgow because it is very difficult to even get selected for one. I found that the main thing they were looking for apart from knowledge about the curriculum was confidence, self belief and ambition, so do not let this set you back because it may come accross in your next interview. It helped googling interview questions and geting my husband to practice them with me. When you are in the interview, take a wee second to think about what they asked and always try relate it to your experience. However, if you feel you need more experience then there is always time to apply next year. A lot of applicants at my interview were a little older. Don't let this put you off. Hope that helps.

4. Thank you very much for your reply - it has helped! I never had the chance to practice interview questions but will definitely make a point of getting my boyfriend to help me out on that front for next time. If I'm offered an interview for Strathclyde I will definitely go because, as you point out, the experience is useful even if it's another unsuccessful venture. I've gone over my Glasgow interview in my head (what I can remember, it's all such a blur!) and I have been able to figure out where/why it went wrong. I spoke too quickly, didn't take those crucial few seconds to think about what they'd asked and definitely could have and should have related answers to my experience more. I think I was just so nervous all my prep kind of went out the window!! Thanks again for your reply :)

5. Hey

I am at Strathclyde doing PGDE Primary. I know of a few people from secondary areas who got an interview really
    late one (some in April!) so I would certainly not rule out getting asked to interview. Obviously my interview as primary was different but, as far as I know, Strathclyde just wan't some experience of working with children they don't specify how much. If you do get an interview then try to link back questions to you experience as much as possible and just be enthusiastic!

Good luck!!

6. Thank you very much! It's reassuring to know that others have had late interviews! I'll definitely be trying to link back to experience as much as I can!

7. Hello, I am in exactly the same position, I got rejected after my interview at Moray House and awaiting news from my second choice- Strathclyde. Definitely go to the interview if you get one!! :)

8. Hello Audrey, thanks for replying. It's sort of comforting to know there are others who didn't get in to their first choice! Hope you get invited to interview at Strathclyde - maybe see you there! :)

9. Good luck girls! ditavonstop I recognise your picture-think you are friends with my old flatmate Miss Beckett (wont give full name!). If you are, how very random!

10. Haha, I do know a Miss Beckett!! That is very random :)

11. What subject is it you have applied for? My interview was by no means perfect, sometimes I wonder how I got in! So don't think you need to be absolutely brilliant to get in, just show passion, explain your experience, and try answer things as best as you can.

12. It's English :). I'm just a little disheartened cause I thought I had shown how passionate I am about wanting to teach at my Glasgow interview but I guess it's way more competitive since they only had 20 places for my subject. I'm just going to go over possible Qs & As with my boyfriend this time, hopefully that will help! Do they ask many subject-specific questions?

13. They asked me who my favourite teacher at school was and why, what my weaknesses are, why I wanted to teach, and what changes to the Geography curriculum there were.
    Maybe you just missed getting a place at Glasgow.
    I've heard from the guy who is in charge of Geography at Glasgow, that Strathclyde is better. Not sure if it's the same for every subject, but Strathclyde is more demanding so you end up learning more and with a better degree.

14. Pretty much the sort of questions I've been preparing for (minus the geography-specific one, obv!) Thanks :)
    To be honest, I did always associate Strathclyde with teaching and it would have been my first choice over Glasgow if it offered the Catholic Teaching Certificate as part of the PGDE. Paying near enough £500 for it does not appeal! I also liked the fact that the Glasgow PGDE contains Masters in Education components - the PGDE counts as one third of it, you complete the second third in your probation year then the final part the year after, I think. I could not find anywhere that stated Strathclyde offers the same structure but I guess at the end of the day I'll go wherever so long as I get to teach!

15. Just thought I'd let you know that there's a batch of English interviews for Strathclyde happening on the 30th. I got an email invitation this afternoon, so they definately still have places available.

16. Oh, thank you very much - that's put my mind at ease :) Good luck with your interview!

17. Yip I just found out yesterday that I have an interview on the 30th so they are definitely still recruiting!! Hope you hear soon.

18. Thanks, Audrey - me too! Congrats on getting an interview :) Did you hear via track or through e-mail?

19. I heard via email and not track as GTTR claimed that I had been unsuccessful. Turns out that I had been rejected by default from Strathclyde because more than 28 days had passed between the uni receiving my application and the uni making a decision. Safe to say I was very confused when I was invited to interview! Hope you find out soon :)

20. Hey, just to let you know Strathclyde do Masters credits too. Let us know if you get an interview.