1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Strategies to support underperforming Sixth Formers

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by phlogiston, Jan 1, 2011.

1. phlogiston

phlogiston Lead commenter

Our 6th form are now largely expected to work in library during non contact periods.
    GCSE results are becoming less useful as a predictor of a level success. Even A grades don't always mean success is easy.
    P

2. ferrisbueller

ferrisbueller New commenter

Exactly what we are thinking of doing.
    How do you manage this? Do they have to sign in and then someone checks ?
    Just interested as the sticking point in any strategy I've come up with has involved a lot of work chasing and checking students every 5 minutes.

3. phlogiston

phlogiston Lead commenter

We have a selected group who are obliged to sign in. Subject teachers can "red flag" students who underperform. They are then obliged to sign in. Insufficient resources to review everyone.
    P

4. Our students have 1 'study period' for each subject they study so most Y12s have 4 x 4h lessons + 4 study periods = 20/25. If they are deemed to be performaing well then at christmas then they may be granted privileges that enable them to go home in their afternoon non contact periods. I agree that 6th formers are hopeless at studying. In theory a register is taken in the library during study periods but the 6th form admin lady is often too busy and sometimes it is just forgotten. The theory was that teachers with extra non contact periods (because of over staffing etc) would be used to supervise the study area but this doesn't seem to have happened! In extreme cases I have as a 6th form tutor been known to put students on 'report' the same as in lower school where they have to have every period signed and accounted for. Strangely this actually works!

5. Nmh, I like the idea of a vi form report card... Show me what work you have done in your free! I find it is the low thinking skills that set them back and the idea that if they just remember stuff they will pass. I am not good enough to be able to teach them to see the world like I do when tackling a problem...

6. Lack of thinking skills is unfortunately a symptom of the GCSE culture where spoon feeding and coursework 'intervention' is rife! We create our own problems however with the league table culture and pressure from SLT over KS4 results then we rarely have a choice. This is especially marked in 11-16 schools as they don't have the frustrations we do when they come through to post-16 study!