1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Strategies to support a child during transistion

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by tink85, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Hello

I really would like some advice on how best to support a child during the transition period from reception to year 1.

The child involved can be very violent and throughout this year has kicked, punched, bitten and spat at staff and children.

The reception staff have informed me that the child's behaviour is unpredictable describing that like a switch it changes from following most instruction to responded violently and out of control to the most basic of requests.

Sometimes there is a clear trigger to their outburst but not always.

During their year in reception it has been a daily occurrence and the child has been suspended on two occasions since Christmas.

Throughout the year they have been using the distraction technique, when their behaviour is dangerous to themselves or other children they are distracted by an adult to begin another activity.

On a 1-1 they can be a lovely child however in a class situation they appear willing to do anything to get attention.

I was wondering if anyone had experienced working with a child like this and what they did to help them adjust to a year 1 classroom.
    I'm concerned about the safety of the child and the other children and the adults in the classroom.
    I am planning to use a visual timetable with set times for rewards. I am planning to create a quiet area in the classroom and support the child to use this as a claming down area. I am designing rewards around their interests and I have spoken to my team leader for next year about having a clear strategy in place so the child is treated the same way by all the adults in the school. As a team we are attending a course to support the transition of children from reception to year 1. Any other advice or strategies that would help would be appreciated.
    Thank you

2. Hi Tink85
    You have to answer the question 'what is the child trying to communicate through his/her behaviours?' can the parents give an insight into what is going on? Use ABC charts to plot what is happening e.g. do the behaviours happen at certain times? with certian people? activities?
    Without knowing how the child functions it's hard to give strategies but here's a few that have worked.....
    Key words are: predictabilty, structure and routine. You are right that all staff in the class willl need to be on board with strategeis, and lunch time staff! A close relationship with parents will also promote consistency of approaches.
    Introducing a VT is an excellent strategy but it has to be meaningful to the child. Photographs? picture cards/ real objects? Limit this initially to 'now and next' the next activity being a motivational activity.
    Plan the class transition times - you can bet anything that when the child does not know what he/she is expected to do that this is when a lot of issues arise. Give him/her predictable responsibilities at these times such as tidying away a specific item - timetable this in.
    Be realistic in the expectations whilst finding the balance of enabling the child to progress.
    Use positive language such as 'good sitting' this will tell the child what they are doing well. Always tell and/or show (depending on level of understanding) the child what he/she should be doing. Simply telling them 'no' does not give any indication of what they can do.
    Give set places to sit at carpet time and be realistic in how long he/she should sit. Consider giving an item relevant to the topic being discussed to the child to hold to enable them to focus e.g. a copy of the book being looked at, a number board.
    Tell the child before he/she sits down to carry out an adult directed activity what is going to happen - their expectation of 'numeracy' may be different from yours. Answer the questions: What work should be done? How much work should be done? How does he/she know it's finished? and what does he/she do next? Show a finished product so the child knows what he/she is working towards.
    Introduce regular physical activites to allow the child to release some of the energy.... this could be the 'next' activity!
    Have a behaiour plan as to how all staff approach situations should the child become aggressive, have this agreed wiith parents!
    I could go on and on.....
    Hope some of this has been of use.
    Also, if you don't already, make a photograph album of the classroom activities and the staff the child will be with next year for him/her to take home and look at with parents... familiarisation!
    Hope all goes well
    Janet

3. Hi,
    I too have a child like this in year 1. I have created a seperate working table for the child (there is room for 1 other child too) so first he can succeed in completing an activity. The other tables are arranged so that he can sit successfully at the end of them (reducing how close he is to others but still enabling him to be part of a group). There is also an area for calming down and I too have an outside area. I have put in a reward chart where each session is broken down into managable time segments. I will give the child a timer and to begin with he will have an instant reward after completing the required amount of time on the activity. In my experience within a few days the amount of time can normally be doubled. Hopefully this will help to create a calmer classroom with a happier boy than the one I saw on transition day.