1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Strategies to stop children who can't help calling out, from calling out!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by impulce, Oct 17, 2011.

1. I've a boy in my Y2 class who is bright but calls out ALL THE TIME. I have followed behaviour policy but he is ending up missing some of his playtime often and though at the time he doesn't like this and says he will stop calling out, he continues to call out the next time we're on the carpet. He often has the right answers and is engaged in his learning but it is driving me bonkers! It appears to be something he isn't doing on purpose so I am reluctant to take it too far behaviour management wise.
    Does anyone have any simple strategies for children like this?

2. Waterfin

Waterfin New commenter

My shouter-out has a sheet covered in star outline shapes. Every time they remember to put up their hand with an answer (whether they are chosen or not) they get to colour in a star. Every ten hands up stars is a sticker and a housepoint. It is working really nicely.

3. I like this idea and might just adapt it so that he gets a tick next to his name every time he puts his hand up. Thanks!

4. Direct your questions to a child and add the name at the start of the question. eg, Billy, what do you think.....
    You will obviously direct some questions at the child in question but he will (hopefully) see that this question is not his. "This question was for ......., not you this time."

5. bigbev

bigbev New commenter

Mine is in a Yr3/4 class. We are on week 2 of 'Talk Tokens'. He has 5 for each session and everytime he shouts out he looses a token. Is beginning to take effect!! You they decide on 'prize' for keeping a set number of tokens.

6. If it's a case of him wanting to demonstrate that he knows the answer, you could get him to write the answer on a whiteboard/paper instead of calling out or if you're lucky enough to have a TA you could get him to whisper to the TA.

7. The best method I've seen used is simply to ignore the child. Don't acknowledge what they've said, but also don't acknowledge the fact that they've broken the 'rules' either. When they do put their hand up select them to answer the question. Takes a bit of time but works well.

8. Thanks everybody. I've tried the ignoring but perhaps not consistently enough.
    Tomorrow im going to completely ignore it ALL DAY and not bother to put his name on etc for it. Just point blank ignore.
    If that doesn't work I will try something such as ticks next to his name everytime he puts a hand up, or the talk tokens. I'm reluctant to give him anything to hold as he can be a bit of a behaviour problem too (in a cheeky way) and I think he would show off/make a fuss about being given something.

9. I agree. You could have been talking about a child in my class, VERY bright, lots to offer but absolutely wearing me down.
    I have tried ignoring and copiously praising those children for waiting patiently (eg "Tommy, brilliant waiting with your hand up - what's the answer?" type thing). It IS working but v slowly.
    Consistency is the key as you say. Good luck!!

10. I agree. You could have been talking about a child in my class, VERY bright, lots to offer but absolutely wearing me down.
    I have tried ignoring and copiously praising those children for waiting patiently (eg "Tommy, brilliant waiting with your hand up - what's the answer?" type thing). It IS working but v slowly.
    Consistency is the key as you say. Good luck!!

11. (oops, silly TES!)

12. Have you tried "No Hands Up". I use this to keep the shouters out in place and also to keep everyone else on their toes. I have a pot of lollysticks with everyones names on them and randomly select a child to answer. Nobody knows who it will be so they all have to think, also means that the shouter outers can't shout out because they are waiting to see who is selected. Stops you from picking the same few children over and over and gives everyone a chance to shine. If they don't know the answer I let them pass, but will go back to them later to check understanding.

13. clawthorpegirl

clawthorpegirl New commenter

Have you tried Chance Boards? A simple laminated card which says at the top 'I have three chances to stop ...(whatever the behaviour is), then underneath 4 laminated shapes velcroed on. Each time the child shouts out you silently pick up chance board and remove a 'chance' - underneath final shape is a consequence i.e. now I must miss 5 minutes of playtime, go to Y3 for 5 minutes etc.
    This worked well for a couple of boys in my Y2 class last year, although does turn the positive reinforcement on its head! The chance boards were with me during whole class input then went with the boys to tables for group work. Each new lesson started back on 4 again.

14. Everytime you elicit an answer say "Hands up please" before you ask. Put your hand up and put your finger over your mouth to reinforce. Might help a bit, but don't think only one strategy will work it will be a mixture and a gradual process. Loads of positive reinforcement when he/she gets the answer right and has put his hands up. Child may be a bit insecure and is trying to get more attention or positive reinforcement praise from you. Also ask him the more difficult questions he may need the opportunity to really prove him/herself and needs a bit more challenge.

15. Duct tape?

16. More seriously, I have calling out times when I hold up a sign and everyone is allowed to tell me what they think the answer is. (No shouting, use normal volume voice and no repeating the same thing endlessly!) I then put the sign down and they have to stop. This helps those children who just 'HAVE' to tell you something and stops thme just asking the same old 2 or 3 children who always have their hand up. If it's a question with multiple answers you can write down the things you hear, (e.g. sources of light) meaning they have to watch you think of something new when they see you've written their response (e.g. torch)
    It also stops the ' I was going to say that one' problem.

I thought it would be bedlam when I first saw it on a course but actually works well

17. I use the totally deaf and blind method of just refusing to a acknowledge a called out answer in any way and selecting someone with their hand up to answer. Then when they answer I say something like 'I chose X because she had her hand up' - but I say it to the whole group, still denying the caller out even any eye contact. I have to do it once every time we have a whole group session but it does work - just reminds them.

If the caller out is particularly persistent and keeps talking when X is answering then I say 'Sorry, X, could you say that again? I couldn't hear you because B was talking' - still not even looking at B. It works!

But if the whole group is really 'hopping' I also use good old 'think, pair, share' or 'tell your neighbour what you think' so that they all have had the chance to tell someone an answer or a thought.

Good luck!

18. skt107

skt107 New commenter

I used to have a clicker which kept count...if they keep it under so many clicks (depending on how often they shout out) then they get a reward. We used to reduce the number of clicks as he got better. Only downside was that once he knew he had gone past it, there was no point!

19. Draw an angry face on the board ie round face, angry eyebrows round mouth with wavy lines coming out to represent shouting out. Put a cross beside this face and explain that this behaviour is incorrect. Draw a happy face with closed mouth and hand up and tick beside it. Explain this is correct behaviour.
    From then on draw the two faces each time on board or stick flashcards of faces (drawn by yourself). Do not comment but point to appropriate picture. ie when your boy in Y2 shouts out,point to the shouting out face and then hand up picture., The child will identify with face and realize what he has done and automatically be quiet and put uphand. It works!

20. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

I like the lollystick higher up the thread as it give the quiter less pushy members of the class an equal chance too. Or doesn't it work - would he still shout out rather than give the selected person a chance to say the answer first?