1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

strategies to keep 'em bloody quiet!!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by olipage, Sep 9, 2010.

1. love that idea. Going to try tomorrow

2. bumblingbee

bumblingbee New commenter

I tried the raffle ticket idea once with a split year 4/5 class. The idea was that all the tickets went in a jar and at the end of the week I'd have a draw and the winner (or winners) would get a prize. However discovered that some enterprising child had bought a packet of raffle tickets and was adding his own to the jar. Ditched that idea. Would still work I reckon but would need to be policed a bit more closely than I did!

3. Wow you have taken words out of my mouth although I'm a new TA in a tricky school. It seems these days that the adults have to earn the respect of the children and not the other way round like it was in my day, and I'm only 30! A complete eye-opener - the other staff have said I'm having a Baptism of Fire with this particular class which does ease the pain somewhat! It is hard to reflect on yourself when the day is so busy and the bad behaviour is constant but I am trying my best to continue with praise and nurture, which most of these kids are lacking. Good luck to you too!

4. Ha! That's what you get when your not paying attention! Clearly a cross in my mind between what is expected and what is acceptable, must try not to use this new word 'cross' word in class!

5. This little gem works for all ages (even staff!)...
    Simply start by getting eye contact with a quiet pupil (there should be at least one!). Say 'PIP'. and see what their reaction is. They will inevitably look blank. Choose another child (who will have stopped talking to see what is going on). Say 'POP' to them. No response probably. Choose another and say 'PIP'. after a short while (and obviously, immediately the subsequent times you play this game) someone will say 'PIP' when you say 'PIP'. You then shake your head and simply say 'close!' Say 'POP' to another child and they may now grasp that when you say PIP they say POP, and vice versa. Give the first child to do it right due credit and applause. Then choose another and say 'PIP PIP'. They must say 'POP POP'. Continue for as long as necessary - you can choose those children still not paying full attention by getting eye contact and perhaps choosing a complex phrase, such as 'PIP PIP PIP POP POP PIP' (answer: POP POP POP PIP PIP POP').
    The others will pay attention quickly as they will think they can do it correctly if someone makes a mistake. The beauty is that you can subtly engineer things so that less able children can have seemingly difficult one, which you say in a rhythm (eg pip pip, pop pop, pip pip), whilst top students can have long tricky random ones! End it all quickly, with the pupils want more, and they'll look forward to playing it next time.
    Found this in a book called Panic Ideas (I think) Printforce Ltd some years ago.

6. humm, not sure that's really fair. Those marbles had already been won as a reward for good work etc. Surely your sanction should deal with the current behaviour .

7. Hi,
    I feel your pain. Imagine a classroom of noisy year 9 students.
    To combat them at the start of the lesson I try to get into the room before the lesson begins and write an activity on the board to do immediately. Usually it is a sentence or two connected with the lesson. I have them get out their book outside first. If I cant do this I give them a worksheet as they walk in and get them to start it immediately. This gives me the chance to wander around the room to get the stragglers on task.

A stamp chart is working well too . I put a stamp next to their names as I see them doing something right. This gets them focused on what is happening. Five stamps gets a praise certificate and a lolly at this point. Seems to be motivating them.

Lots of praise/acknowledgement when they are modelling appropriate behaviour to remind them what I expect. Acknowledge kids listening rather than those not. This seems to get their attention as well. Most kids inherently want to please you even at the older ages.

Just had laptops introduced into the classroom "Stop! Look! Listen" is working at the moment, especially when they are focused on the computers.

I also ask them twice for quiet and then begin counting and tell them that every number represents the length of their detention. Someone will normally be smart and begin counting - give them an immediate detention. Most will quieten by the count of ten if they know you follow through on your detention threats. I dont need to shout with this one. Usually a kid will call out Shut up!

8. 2 Minutes!!! They're making the rules ... and you let them do it again! Such a long time.

9. Hi, it is a bit of a shock coming back to the early years. However, you can negotiate with year 3 as you can with year 6. Ask them what they think is reasonable. Ask yourself questions like whether they have to line up before they come in? Can you be there on the bell? Can transitions be done on the mat as they are coming in. Year 3 children love doing charades, thumbs up, quiet ball etc. Set it up or get them to set it up. Having a different transition for the day of the week will keep the interest up. They only need to be 5 mins which is usually the time it takes to settle anyway. Getting straight into it when you get to your chair will be part of the negotiating process. You can break the childlren up in teams so that a group organises the transtion for that day or week. Give points for the most organised group, this way you can praise as the other children come in and join in and then you are able to deal with the stragglers or talk to "that particular child" before you start the next session. This also means that the chn who come back on time get more of the fun and don't have to wait in a line for the stragglers to turn up. Give points for teams who cooperate. Doing it this way can also result in the chn only having to line up for transitioning between classrooms. e.g. Going to the library or art ... Not having to line up all the time can be part of the negotiating phase. Year 3 can do this! Trust me.

10. Consider a long term calming strategy that will improves the children's concentration as well as improving their social skills and emotional wellbeing. The Massage in Schools Programme (MISP) is a fun clothed peer massage programme that also uses positive touch in learning. Teachers use it at the start of the day to help children concentrate and leave behind home issues and then again it can be used after lunch to calm the children for the afternoon session. See www.misa.org.uk It is well established and parents like it too.

11. I know it is a few years below(they may think it's a bit babyish- or not) but when I work as a HLTA with year ones I sing "can I see your hands do this x 4 everybody" to the tune of london bridge is falling down. Usually about 3 verses with different hand actions and getting quieter each time. When the level of how many times you sing it is set then they are told if you are copying me before I have sung the song x amount of times then you get 2 class points- and of course stickers are given to the first 3 who take notice straight away. The children will inevitably join in with the actions with you. Maybe you could adapt it to a tune of an older age song?
    When I have worked in older years I will ask 'who can I see is ready to help me? Can I see you sitting nicey? Backs straight, arms folded and a smile on your face"
    Hope this helps a bit

12. Hold a circle time about team work, what it means to work together, how to support each other, whats fair, respect etc. Then start the week with no golden time. they have to earn it (i do 5 mins earned per well behaved lesson) and then keep it when they have it all. I have used it in a challenging school in year 4 and 5 for the last few years. Works like a treat everytime. After a week or so they are actively encouraging each other to do as they have been told, brilliant to watch!
    However, for the serious/repeat offenders, i also use other sanctions (we have a playtime detention sytem) so that the majority are never punished for the behaviour of one or two individuals.
    I let them choose the 'gimmic' of the system too. e.g.: football teams, catoon characters, bands/singers. Where each icon represents 5 minutes. Also you need a 'collecting area'. I've had a goal post, a stage, sponge bobs house...whatever goes with the theme they choose.
    If they are getting too noisy/not working enough/being silly etc all i have to do now is warn that one will be lost/not earned. Nearly always gets them all back on track. Sometimes they loose one or two but then they are all the keener to earn it back!
    Hope this helps x

13. I think that singing rhymes/instructions is too babyish for Key Stage Two. I have Year 4 and I ring a small, tinkly hand bell (35p from charity shop - some of my colleagues use hanging chimes in a similar way), but if it takes longer than a few seconds for them to be paying attention, I start counting seconds until everyone is quiet. If I reach ten, that is one minute deducted from playtime. Worked well with my Year 6 class last year (haven't had to do the counting with my current class - yet!).
    During class work this year I'm using the traffic lights (from primary resources, I think) so that the children know what I expect from them. This has an indicator showing what the children should be doing for different kinds of activity e.g. whispering for paired work. I do have to keep reminding them though. Might have to re-think this one if they don't get used to it.
    I think a lot depends on your class, and you just have to find what works. I like some of the ideas on this thread and will try them if noise becomes a problem - but it's early days yet!

14. I use two main strategies. First I say in a quiet (ish) but commanding tone "everyone stop" then I wait for them all to stop what they are doing - this is coupled with 'the stare' and a thumbs up to those children who have heard and instantly respond - others around them soon catch on to what must have been said for their pers to be acting like this - all of the class usually falls quiet within 20-30 seconds - it is vary rare for them not to. Another method I use is by saying "clap once if you can hear me" again this is said in a quiet voice and the nearest children clap. The sound is heard by others who then stop and wait either for me to repeat the command (this time by saying clap twice). At this point all the class have caught on and fall quiet. They never want to get to "clap 3 times" because then they lose something nice - a bit of golden time or playtime etc. I have used this method with KS1 through to year 6 and it has not failed me yet.
    Hope this helps.

15. I feel I have been moaning a lot... but think of it as training. I am in a junior school, so they are not used to the different routines. Bless the year 3's, they are fun. Tired after the second week... lol, me too! we have many more to go til Christmas. I know waht you mean about frustrated... all will be ok in a few weeks when we are used to them and more to the point - they are used to us! lol. Have fun. :)
    I have a whislte... one short blow... stop... two, move to the carpet... then the first 5 get house points. This works well... also... I have my own rewards. List of children and give a point for good behaviour... first one to 20 gets a letter home saying how wonderful their child has been, and a pencil (or piece of equipment). I also buy these, but they think they are really specil that way.

16. Hi there, as a supply teacher who sees a wide range of behaviour, I have found if I have a class for an extended contract, I can get them into the procedure of having early work on the IWB, this can be something as easy as having a selection of words on the IWB which class need to write into sentences. Can use any subject/ topic and if you do it every day, they get into routin eof just coming in and getting jotters etc out and geting on. Make them aware any not doing amoun t ou would expect in given time eg 10 mins will need to complete during break/ lunchtime etc.