1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

strategies to keep 'em bloody quiet!!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by olipage, Sep 9, 2010.

1. I am a big fan of this....although the first time I used it some of the kids were too engrossed watching it (one child actually brought a ruler over to measure the distance left) that they didn't manage it in time. Much better the second time. [​IMG]

2. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I was covering the new year 4 today as the teacher had PPA. They have started the filling the jar with marbles for good behaviour idea.
    The class would not settle after I had asked them so I took a handful of their hard won marbles out of the jar and started dropping them one every two seconds or so back into the 'storage' jar without saying a word. The class soon got the idea that if they didnt settle down then a whole weeks worth of marbles were going to be gone.
    The result was miraculous.

3. I had Year 5 for four years... they responded really well to the counting down. Trick is to ensure they are AWARE of the sanction that will be used beforehand, then the consequence is in their court. Likewise, if they settle really quickly, heap lots of praise and some kind of reward. Good luck.

4. This post (and many others like it) always seem to be centred on primary behaviour (has it really got that bad?!) For those of us who are NQTs in secondary schools, does anyone have any suggestions for behaviour management? Lining up outside in silence and stickers don't really work with bottom set Yr 11!!
    Thanks

5. I'm not an NQT, but have started a new job at a large comprehensive. The children are unrelentingly LOUD. Detentions seem to have no effect. Counting backwards works until I have stopped counting. I lined up a Year 9 class today and half of them ran off...Ho-hummm.
    So - any ideas on how to get teenagers to be quiet. I've certainly used up my arsenal and a tambourine would make me a source of derision :)

6. One of my favourite strategies is to quietly say, "If you can hear me, show me 6 fingers", then "If you can hear me show me 4 fingers", or "If you can hear me show me 6 fingers a different way". Keep going until the class is at a manageable noise level. I also like to end with, "Show me 7 fingers ... 8 fingers ... 9 fingers ... show me 10 fingers folder on your lap." It's not the quickest way to get them quieted down, but you can manage to do it by staying very calm yourself and not trying to talk over them. There are always those that don't hear the first instruction but they quickly see all the others in the class doing something they are not. I also find that the process of discovering new ways to show the same number with their fingers engages their brain to the extent that they are no longer able to talk to the person beside them and hold up those fingers at the same time!

7. Can't help thinking you will mostly get a two fingered response from secondary kids to this one :)[​IMG]

8. Hi, Don't you believe it, I am an experienced chemistry teacher and even the most mature pupils still like a smile face reward drawn in their jotter!
    Establishing good classroom practice from the start with the lining up, greet at the door, couple of minutes to get settled counting down from 5 but praising the ones already sitting ready to work is amazing.
    I also use target sheets for the repeat offenders with 2 or 3 straight forward targets like next day be ready to work with jacket hung up and jotter/ pencil out in 3 minutes. Put your hand up if you want to say something and wait to be asked rather than shouting out.
    The next lesson when I greet them at the door I remind them of their target and have the stopwatch ready and give it to them so they can time themselves.
    Make sure you keep it as positive as possible telling them how super they were at achieving these targets.
    Once a week send them to your dep head at an agreed time to reinforce the praise rather than getting a row.
    After three excellents in a row they get signed off and the target sheet is kept as a record and evidence for future reference.
    It does take a little bit of time but worth every minute .
    Good Luck and hope you get as much fun from this rewarding but exhausting vocation as me.

9. Hi just joined the site so am replying a little late.
    What I have found is identify the noisy ones and give them a very important job to do in the classroom - as a male I find it very easy to do the stare - this works for me as I have 3 very difficult boys in year 3 and year 4.
    Clapping doesn't always work as I think it can be lame to say the least. Do you use table points? Class points? These work really well.
    Anyway good luck

10. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

I had a MASSIVE class last year. Best thing I used and have continually found to be effective is when you want quiet shout "TEN" and then count down the rest of the numbers silently showing them on your fingers. By the time you reach 0 they should be back on the carpet ready to listen, or just ready listen whatever your situation.
    IF you reach 0 and they aren't where you want them, start to count up again. Every time they let you reach 10, you take a minute of their playtime.
    It took me 2 days of doing this before they realised, and I haven't had to take a single minute since. It works lol.

11. The best advice I was given was to know what suits you. After a dreadful class, where I had tried to match their previous teacher's strategies - shout lots - lots of detentions- sending out etc. I realised that this isn't the type of teacher I am. I also realised that if you are constantly in the situation where you are handing out detentions to the same children every day, it isn't working for them and ultimately, you are losing control of the situation.

Nowadays, I prefer the positive positive approach. If they don't respond to just putting your hand up, do something they will notice, then gradually they will improve. I also think that raffle tickets are a brilliant idea and have used them several times for tricky classes. Also, drawing their attention to anyone who is doing the right thing is a really good way of establishing your expectations.

I do agree though, Year 3 are hard work, especially at the beginning and after year 6. Perhaps talk to KS1 colleagues to find out what they have done with younger classes. I knew someone who spent a term in the infants doing funky pineapples with her hands on her head saying "funky pineapples" Felt like a fool, but got their attention!

12. I like to use the sandtimer idea, because you can get them for a variety of times you can use them for different tasks. I used them for settling children, getting the younger ones (or even older ones) to write the date and title if they take ages and also for tidy up time.

Also I use listening hands and mouths 'Show me listening hands', empty hands wiggly fingers.

And finally, 'clap once if you can hear me (whispered/clapped quietly), 'clap twice...' etc getting louder each time. If you get to five or six before they are all listening say that you know they can do better and that they should prove it next time, make sure they know it is not exceptable but do so in a positive way.

13. Give me 5 works a treat with my very noisy class. Use thiswhenever I need their attention or when they becoming too noisy.

14. Sing 'Listening, listening' and have them sing it back to you. Use a different note if you have to repeat. Pause after their repeat to hear the silence. This works for me every time. So I might sing 'Listening, listening' in a low note... and if they are not quiet after they echo it back then sing it in a high note... or change the emphasis on one of the words. ''Who's not listening?' also works. I use this in a crowded dinner hall as well.

15. acceptable not exceptable! [​IMG]

16. I apologise if someone has already said this........I found it very effective with my Year 2s who were a little hyper to create a calm classroom. I'd turn off the lights for when it was quiet time (obviously not when they needed to read), play some quiet instrumental music using Windows Media Player and get them to concentrate on the moving images on the IWB. I'd do breathing exercises with them which would calm and relax them. They soon learnt that as soon as the music came on they had to sit quietly and breath in and out deeply. Worked absolute wonders and I've shared with teachers around the school.

17. SueL107
    Remember you are on the primary forum -

18. I'm in year 1. We aren't allowed to use stickers so I have a role model chart in shape of castle and little rozette badges with their names on. I will just start to move names up and down chart if I am waiting. This continues accross week and the 10 children at top of chart get a reward on friday afternoon. For mine it's a return to the recpetion adventure play area which they love. It could be added golden time, a comic book a big box of bits from pound shop that they can pick something from (lucky dip). I also have a traffic light/ behaviour fan which i hold up when i'm waiting.
    If it is in the playground, I would just start to walk them and then if they are not complying, walk them straight back to playground and make them sit on floor. I make my year 1's do this in corridoor if I am waiting...1) they dont like sitting in corridoor and 2) the head/senior staff will walk past while i am busy telling them how dissapointed and unhappy i am in their behaviour...the children dont like this!!! old favourites are the star certificates at end of week. 1 superstar each week.

19. Thank you for posting your query -the replies are useful to me. I am an NQT, covering 8 classes - YR, 1, 2 and 6 - over two days! Having trained predominantly in Y3, I had a shock taking Y1 for PE. it took them 20 mins to change for P.E then had various interruptions, so lesson v limited knowing I had to allow another 20 mins to get changed back again! For Y3, I agree with stickers, certificates, earning privileges e.g. right to sit on chair instead of carpet for period of time. Good luck. Any KS1 tips for me much appreciated!

20. Great selection of stickers at happysecrets.co.uk give 0014 as code and get free gift. They sell some fab posters, books and stuff too - enjoy.