1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

strategies to keep 'em bloody quiet!!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by olipage, Sep 9, 2010.

1. Hi
    I have just started teaching Year 3 children again after a few years, I have been teahcing Year 6 before and they were darlings!
    The Year 3s I have got are a bit crazy! Everytime they come in the room they are crazy-shouting, talking loudly messing around. They never just sit down on their chairs and be quiet- like my Year 6s used to be!! It is driving me insane
    I have tried the clapping technique- u clap and they copy u, it works OK, tried putting my hand up waiting for quiet and the stare- this hardly ever works becaus ethey are just not looking at you.
    I need some more things to do get their attention and keep them quiet- they are Year 3s so the maddest age grp i thnk in KS2 defo. How can I keep it fun rather that shouting at them to be quiet? I feel myself getting in a modd sometime and this is just not how I want to come across.
    Any help please......

2. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Praise and stickers.
    It's easy to forget, working further up the school, just how powerful a sticker can be.

3. queenlit

queenlit New commenter

Line up outside the door and wait until they are quiet before coming into the classroom.

4. baileysonice

baileysonice New commenter

Must get some stickers - how could I forget them!! I've been heaping praise and team points onto Y3, but I think stickers give a more instant sense of gratification. Thanks [​IMG]

5. baileysonice

baileysonice New commenter

Will also try closing classroom door before I collect them from playground and make them wait silently in line before I let them in - just hope we don't cause a blockage in the corridor, but I think it's wide enough.

6. With my class (who are very noisy year 1s), I count back from 5... if I get to 1 and they're still not quiet, they lose a minute Golden Time.
    If they're quiet BEFORE I get to 1, they get some kind of class reward.

Works wonders!

7. Raffle ticket for the first 3 sitting down legs crossed and silent. They'll get the idea very quickly.

8. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Being a supply I find many different ways; suddenly stopping & waiting with the 'stare', clap the rhythm after me- always finish with 'folded arms', 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 count-down, hand up in the air which children have to copy, rainsticks are very good if you can get hold of one, egg-timer -real or on Smartboard, praising the behaviour/ work ethos of those who are doing what is expected, looking obviously at my watch and writing 40 secs, 50 secs etc on the board- which they then repay later to attract attention, but I wuld think the main thing is to have lots of activities at their level of access to keep them busy might be the problem- year 3s are so much more teacher-dependant.

9. Year 3s will seem very immature if you are used to Year 6. However, they are perfectly capable of coming in to a classroom quietly and sensibly.
    I would use stickers and praise if you get the behaviour you want - Year 3 are still young enough to appreciate stickers. I also used to have a star chart - when they got 20 stars they got a prize. I did buy these from my own money which you may not want to do to but you could give out a certificate instead.
    I would go for sanctions as well though if needed. I don't shout at children but I calmly and firmly tell them what I expect of them and explain what the consequences will be if they don't behave well enough. If they won't come into the classroom quietly then get them to practice doing it at breaktime!
    They are a lovely age group generally as they are very enthusiastic while still having some independence. Having said that I would happily teach any age at primary.

10. I am having the same problem with some of my new class, thanks for the tips. One thing I have found that does work is counting backwards, I also use a tambourine to get attention. I have found myself moaning at them a lot this week though - must do more of the positive praise stuff but am so tired I am just getting frustrated with them.

11. I've been moaning a lot too, so I will get out my stickers tomorrow and hope that my year 4s are still young enough to appreciate them! Roll on the weekend!

12. Same problem here with Year 2. Had my arm in the air for 2 minutes and 45 seconds today before everyone got on board. Then, about five minutes later I again had to wait for nearly 2 minutes for quiet. That time will be taken off their choosing time tomorrow afternoon and they will practise sitting in silence instead. I can't believe how they just continue messing about and having their own conversations even when they've seen everyone else is towing the line. I'm an NQT in a tricky school and although I wonder if it's something I'm doing wrong and occasionally get a bit down about it, I'm trying to see the whole thing as a challenge which must be beaten and not take it to heart too much. I heard it can take a term to tame the critters and get them where you want them! Best of luck to everyone in the same boat.

13. You are going to take time off their choosing time but surely one child shut up and behaved why should they lose it. They might as well be naughty next time.

14. seems a shame to punish good ones - make the trouble makers miss the fun time !

15. Several things I do:
    • clap loudly three times (call and response)
    • say very quietly 'if you can hear my voice clap your hands'. It works as a ripple. Eventually you only need to say it a couple of times.
    • 'secret walker/sitter/liner upper'
    • make them line up several times until they are quiet. Works really well if it means they lose PE time or break time.
    • be known as a strict teacher throughout the school ie always pick up on children running (or basically something they're not supposed to whether in your class or not) as well as making sure you praise children around the school who are showing good behaviour.
    • link to whole class rewards.
    Hope it goes well for you.

16. I used to use the balloon pop timer playing on the IWB to give them the time to settle down/ready/where I wanted them - would pick one child who came in nicely and give them a set number of stickers/raffle tickets/merit marks to give out to the children they spotted being sensible getting ready (eliminated the "wooooh the timer's on let's rush like loonies" factor).
    Worked quite well with a really really really really really really really really (there aren't enough reallys to describe just how hard-going this bunch were) rough year4 bunch who would otherwise take 30 minutes to get a guided reading book out and sit down in their seats.

17. probably not after one such occasion- but after a few
    same thing with lining up - if half a dozen create chaos and you make everyone hang around, you can lose the whole class
    you can have 'special golden time' for a selected group
    oh - and prizes - see if your pta has anything left over from the summer fete if you don't want to shell out yourself

18. NQT1986

NQT1986 Occasional commenter

Do you have a copy of this at all? I used to have it, but can't find it anywhere? I thought it was from Fiery Ideas, but can't see it on their site??

19. I think this sounds genius, am making a note of this one.
    I'm about to start my final PGCE placement with Y5 so hmm not sure if I'll be able to use this, depends how their current teacher is with them. But I am actually looking for jobs teaching Y1 - Y3 so I think this will be ideal. It means everybody has to do it.
    A treat for the first three on the carpet is probably really effective (I'm just a hapless trainee and know very little), but sometimes, do those who have not made that first three just give up and so continue misbehaving?

20. http://www.fieryideas.com/freebies-1-c.asp
    Scroll down to the Supertimer