1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Strategies are ineffective and no support

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by Lalex123, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Lalex123

Lalex123 Occasional commenter

i have 2 students who are not responding to my strategies which include:
    - Writing our rules the class has discussed
    - Calling home
    - Detentions (can’t do after school due to parents refusing but can do lunch which doesn’t work)
    - Sending out
    -Speaking to form tutor (they’re not badly behaved for me so I can’t help you)
    - Speaking to head of year (no response)
    - Short achievable learning objectives
    - Seating plan
    - Lots of praise

Anything else that works well with students who seem unresponsive to what I have tried?

2. GladRagsAtMidnight2017

GladRagsAtMidnight2017 Occasional commenter

Are they known to the SENCO or any relevant background that may be relevant to their behaviour?

What was parents reaction when calling home?

pepper5 likes this.
  3. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Does the school have a behaviour policy? I hope this is a rhetorical question because it should have.

Follow it but already you should escalate upwards. That's what SLT are for*. Escalate upwards properly, following the policy.

If escalation isn't possible then it's time to apply elsewhere. This may appear to be an over-reaction but I do supply at the lower end and the only way it can be bearable is having a behaviour policy that deals quickly with the many disruptive elements.

You've got to know when to walk away
    Know when to run
    Kenny Rogers - The Gambler

* I know, I know

pepper5 likes this.
  4. Lalex123

They are not on the SEND register and one is high ability. I get the impression they have been allowed to get this bad as the behaviour policy isn’t robust enough.

The policy outlines that curriculum leaders are in charge of behaviour and they should pass it upwards, but when it is passed on, nothing much happens.

5. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

What are these two doing to warrant sanctions? In addition to following the school's policy which you are doing ( but others aren't doing), you can try to think about why they are behaving in the ways they do. Do you think perhaps some of it is attention seeking? Do you know if they are having some problems at home? In addition to HOY and form tutor, is your head of department able to assist at all?

Punishment isn't perhaps the best route, but rather teaching them the behaviours you want to see and giving them discipline but in the spirit of that you care . How that is done is the dilemma you face.

They can do a lunch time detention but they don't work. Could someone in a pastoral role be involved in the lunch time detentions and turn them into some type of dialogue about how to move forward?

You are in a difficult positon if you are following the behaviour policy, but nothing happens as it is passed along the upwards chain. Somehow you have to think of something different.

Try having a look on the Pivotal Education web site - there may be something there that will help.

Lalex123 likes this.
  6. fishoutofwater36

fishoutofwater36 New commenter

Have you ever seen this? https://fromnegativetopositive.weebly.com/10-essential-microskills.html
    It's big with Australian teachers.

The other thing I would ask is how long have you been teaching? Sometimes it takes awhile to establish a rapport. And then my last piece of advice would be, there are some students you will never get on with. Just do your job, give sanctions where sanctions are due and count the days till they leave.

galerider123 and Lalex123 like this.
  7. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi fishoutofwater36

Thank you for posting the above-mentioned link as it has a lot of useful information.

8. Lalex123

I have been teaching for over 10 years in a challenging school and behaviour was great for me because I had been there for so long. I have recently started a new position and I think they are trying to test me. They probably won’t pick drama at GCSE and are currently in year 9 so I think that has a lot to do with their behaviour. It’s generally low level shouting out, name calling to provoke others and other attention seeking behaviours.

Trying to find a way to change their behaviour without detention has been unsuccessful so far but any ideas that have worked for others would be useful.

I am the curriculum leader so the next person higher up is SLT and I don’t want to be passing the buck all the time...

Thanks for the replies!

pepper5 likes this.
  9. wildpinkflower

wildpinkflower New commenter

Hey, I have done a Master degree in Special Education / Behavioural and Emotional disturbance and have experience with specifically implementing interventions. Most importantly there needs to be a structured school policy in place with a three tiered system so that strict consequences are in place for when this child continually misbehaves, effecting others' learning. Have you looked at Universal Design for Learning? Also for behavioural problems, it is wise to have a Positive Behaviour for Learning type model set up - traffic light type system. Example reference: https://sydney.edu.au/education_soc...c-2015/Osborne-DeAngelis-workshop-handout.pdf as an example. https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...AUICigB&biw=1680&bih=944#imgrc=bvU8vStzITpZAM: (See example of behaviour chart).

The goal is to try and work out the reason the behaviour is occurring, is it to seek attention, etc? Once you can determine the pattern then you can hone in on the strategy you need to use. Lastly, never get into a battle with a student verbally - do not play to their arguments. Stay confident and pick your battles too...

10. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi lalex123

I see what you mean now. Yes, it sounds as though they are trying to test you and also add into the mix the age they are and they may think that Drama is not relevant to them as they won't be taking it.

Did you have a chance to look on the Pivotal Education site? They often have different approaches and use a lot of mediation techniques.

At least it is only two and not twenty!

11. Lalex123

Yes, glad it’s only 2! There have been quite a few challenging students but various strategies have worked with them and they are no longer disrupting lessons.

I’ll have a look at the pivotal website - I used to listen to the podcasts a lot and they have been invaluable so will be doing my own homework this Christmas holiday!

pepper5 likes this.
  12. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

You have done well to turn things around with the other challenging students.

Let us know if you work it out and what happens.

Lalex123 likes this.