1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Strangest things to happen on an INSET...

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by asincl1, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Hi
    I am organising a whole school INSET in a couple of weeks time and like most schools my colleagues can be fairly sceptical about the value of INSET. Consequently, I thought it might be fun to start off with a list of weird things that have been said or happened during School INSETs.
    My own weird experience was as an NQT when I went on a PSHE course and was told to sit in a circle on the floor and close my eyes and pretend I was in a jungle. We were then asked in turn to make our favourite jungle noise!
    Does anyone have any other weird or wacky experiences that they would be happy to share? I'd be really grateful.for any ideas.

2. Hi
    I am organising a whole school INSET in a couple of weeks time and like most schools my colleagues can be fairly sceptical about the value of INSET. Consequently, I thought it might be fun to start off with a list of weird things that have been said or happened during School INSETs.
    My own weird experience was as an NQT when I went on a PSHE course and was told to sit in a circle on the floor and close my eyes and pretend I was in a jungle. We were then asked in turn to make our favourite jungle noise!
    Does anyone have any other weird or wacky experiences that they would be happy to share? I'd be really grateful.for any ideas.

3. AdmiralNelson

AdmiralNelson New commenter

I remember an INSET Day that was relevant, entertaining and useful....

It was when the school gave all staff an extra day of holiday at the end of term as a reward for an outstanding OfSTED!

4. chocolateworshipper

chocolateworshipper Occasional commenter

Some nonsense about seeing which team could get across the playground first using hoops - I HATE that kind of thing!

5. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I recall an ICT INSET day in another school. We went off to their ICT room where the visiting deliverer had arranged for all the visitors to have a temporary log in to the schools system. We all logged on. His entire presentation was actually on his college's website. Sadly the site was blocked by the school filter and no-one knew how to get it unblocked. He had no notes, no back up, nothing so we spent half a day twiddling our thumbs.

Then there was the advisor (I use the term loosely) who 15 minutes into her presentation answerered her mobile phone and proceeded to have an half an hour conversation about some trivial matter while we all sat and watched.

Then in school the visiting speaker was as dull as ditchwater. She was informing us about class control. She pulled a colleague up short when he had a conversation with his neighbour! She said something along the lines of 'do you have a compllaint'? He then launched into a 30 minute monologue of complaints ranging from the tightness of his shoes to the price of fish ala Victor Meldrew. She just stood there totally non-plussed and completly incapable of stopping him! End of lecture as far as we were concerned.

6. Thanks for the ideas so far, just to clarify I am trying to highlight the ridiculous/pointless things that happen on INSET days as a means of reassuring people that what we are going to cover will be purposeful and beneficial for them and the pupils we teach. (I hope). I've sat through my fair share of **** INSETs where I came away with nothing meaningful and so the last thing I want to do is waste people's time with 'zany' activities.

7. Ah.
    Well the 'Literacy across the curriculum' INSET in which the Head of English had not been informed of the topic for the day was an interesting one. It all finished early with a loud and terrifying (both the head the head of English had been debaters in student days) argument between the two of them, held across the heads of the cowering staff.
    He stormed out and we were given 'departmental time' for the rest of the day.

8. My first day of teaching 25 (ish) yrs ago was a (then) Baker Day. The training was't moch use then and it doesn't seem to have improved.
    The most common two pieces of equipment I seem to need for and INSET day is a grandmother who has lost her false teeth and a carton of eggs.

9. Worst INSET was when our head made us meditate for two hours. We had to "visualise" how we saw the school.