1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Strangely early GCSE exams?

Discussion in 'English' started by glitzstar, Feb 7, 2011.

1. I've just looked on the AQA exam timetables and the GCSE Lang and Lit exams are in May. Isn't this oddly early - I'm sure they're normally in June? Great - leaves us even less time to get our feckless Year 11s to realise they'll be out in the big wide world soon...

2. I've just looked on the AQA exam timetables and the GCSE Lang and Lit exams are in May. Isn't this oddly early - I'm sure they're normally in June? Great - leaves us even less time to get our feckless Year 11s to realise they'll be out in the big wide world soon...

3. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

Just for this year, I think, to fit in exams for two specs.

4. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

And no possibility for re-sits of old spec - this is their very last chance!

5. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

That's something I hadn't considered. We normally have a few November resits with those who got a D in the summer.

6. That hadn't occurred to me either...Thanks.

7. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

Annoyingly, I has got my wires crossed about this and thought I would be able to mark over half term - but as I'll be on new spec, I won't. Bah humbug.
    But it does mean that The Powers That Be cannot insist on us teaching in half term... well, they can, but it'll be rather pointless :)

8. crampsfan

crampsfan New commenter

I used to count on doing revision classes at half term to get a few days TOIL for Glastonbury. (Sigh)

9. Is there no opportunity to resit AQA legacy spec in November 2011?

Many thanks in advance,
    mcclusky x

10. regentsreject

regentsreject Occasional commenter

I believe this November is the very last window for legacy spec but check with the Manchester office just to be certain.

11. millicent_bystander

millicent_bystander New commenter

I'm also pretty sure that November is the last chance for re-sits for current spec. This would then fit around the exam points for the new spec being in January and June. They would have to offer one opportunity to re-sit for a series.

12. Yes, November is the last chance for re-sit for the legacy specs. And, yes, it's so that modules for the new Specs can be fitted into the exam timetable. 16 and 18 May for Lang. 24 May for Lit - I think.