1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Strangely beautiful

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Wanda_the_Wonder, May 24, 2020.

1. Wanda_the_Wonder

Wanda_the_Wonder Occasional commenter

[​IMG]

I bought (sadly online) a framed print of this painting last week. A departure for me. Usually I'm a Constable or Turner girl; at least when it comes to paintings hung in Chez Wanda. It is by Jean Michel Basquiat. I find it strangely beautiful.

Jamvic, rosievoice and phlogiston like this.
  2. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

When I get out of the shower and catch a glimpse of my bum in the mirror it looks better than that.

3. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Thank goodness you only wasted your money on a print and not the original!

emilystrange likes this.
  4. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

Yes. This artist was promoted (sadly) well beyond his capabilities (at the time) - ending badly. The Eighties was a period of some truly dreadul art (amongst one or two exceptions).

nomad likes this.
  5. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

The original would have cost many millions.

6. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

The more interesting work from this era was in the realm of photography/video installations and environments - the Cambridge based artist Pavel Buchler excelling in both:
    [​IMG]

Such is the stupidity of the "art" market.

7. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Well I suspect it is one of Jean-Michel Basquiat's works, so you will be correct.

8. gainly

gainly Star commenter

Beauty is indeed in the eye of the beholder, certainly it's not something I would buy or put on the wall if someone gave it to me.

sunshineneeded likes this.
  9. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

There's no accounting for taste
    [​IMG]

nomad likes this.
  10. MyOrchid

MyOrchid Established commenter

Was it painted in Barnard Castle a little while back?

11. physicsfanboy

physicsfanboy Occasional commenter

You just got something right. Where's Kandahar and what have you done with him?

Jamvic likes this.
  12. WB

WB Lead commenter

It looks like a GCSE art project.

sunshineneeded likes this.
  13. WB

WB Lead commenter

Many of Jean-Michel Basquiat’s paintings are in some way autobiographical, and Untitled may be considered a form of self-portraiture. The skull here exists somewhere between life and death. The eyes are listless, the face is sunken in, and the head looks lobotomized and subdued. Yet there are wild colors and spirited marks that suggest a surfeit of internal activity. Developing his own personal iconography, in this early work Basquiat both alludes to modernist appropriation of African masks and employs the mask as a means of exploring identity. Basquiat labored over this painting for months — evident in the worked surface and imagery — while most of his pieces were completed with bursts of energy over just a few days. The intensity of the painting, which was presented at his debut solo gallery exhibition in New York City, may also represent Basquiat’s anxieties surrounding the pressures of becoming a commercially successful artist.

I guess we were all thinking this.

I think I'll stick with Turner. 1-the-fighting-temeraire-william-turner.jpg

mothorchid likes this.
  14. SparkMaths

SparkMaths Occasional commenter

Yeah I agree with Turner being better, if you need a paragraph of text to explain why something with no aesthetic value is actually really meaningful and worth looking at - there's something wrong.

I wonder how much modern art is actually just money laundering or frauds selling frauds for other frauds to look at and not feel like frauds!

I'm not saying that all non traditional forms of art have no value, but a lot of it CLEARLY doesn't.

WB likes this.
  15. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

And yet The Fighting Temeraire was tarted up to appeal to the National Gallery audience, when much of his work was far more abstract as here (painted 1834):

[​IMG]

16. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Think of all the Jelly Babies you could have bought for what you spent on that OP print.

If Jean Michel Basquiat is a 7 year old with issues I'd maybe give it 6 out of 10, but otherwise..

17. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Agree - in fact, can you imagine how you'd feel if you opened it as a present?

18. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

I’m clueless when it comes to why one weird looking thing is considered good art and another equally weird looking thing isn’t However, if @Wanda_the_Wonder likes the painting and will get enjoyment from looking at it then it’s a good purchase. One man’s trash etc. etc.

Must admit I’d have personally gone for the Jelly Babies option though.

knitone, friedgreentomatoes and WB like this.
  19. WB

WB Lead commenter

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder and I've never been that drunk.

20. Nealswife

Nealswife Occasional commenter

Ha ha - comparing it your bum - the painting, it says a lot, if you want to read it....rather introspective and perhaps the King's new clothes, for a Saatchi vault. Value - could feed thousands for a month!