1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Strange weather

Discussion in 'Personal' started by catmother, Feb 11, 2012.

1. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Sunny and warmish in north-east of Scotland!

2. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Sunny and warmish in north-east of Scotland!

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Thank you.
    Delighted to hear that.
    -3 in SW London.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th, and also the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 18th February
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com
    www.tesweekendworkshop82.eventbrite.com

4. I don't think it's been freezing here all week. The layer of ice over my pond is definitely thawing!

5. A pond? How lovely :) Do you have anything in it?

6. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Last weekend we had about 6 hours of ice particles dropping out of the sky, which added an icy glaze to everything in sight. I went for a walk on Sunday and spotted some ice-glazed trees with melting water running down between the ice coating and the trunk - it reminded me of a vintage lava lamp, so I filmed it, then had a bit of fun editing it into the rave-inspired video below. I haven't altered the speed, only the appearance in places. It starts fairly low key, but picks up a bit after the first 40 seconds. I've never seen anything like it before - the trees actually looked alive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkc-BWhfyRY

7. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Thanks for that. It was stunning.

8. The weather here is grim and depressing and has been for what seems like a whole year. :(

I can cope with cold and rain, it' s the permanent lack of light quality that gets me down. Grey, grey, grey and flat.

9. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Lead commenter

I know exactly what you mean.
    It was almost worth going out to find the car was reading minus seven this morning just to experience the beautiful blue sky and sunny weather that is now upon us here in the SE. It lifts the spirit.

10. henriette

henriette New commenter

-6 in Central Berkshire right now.

11. +3.5 up here near Newcastle. I've just had the dog out for a walk and he went for a refreshing dip in the river.

I didn't join him.

12. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

Amazing!

I thought I'd never seen anything like that before, but I suddenly thought of my frozen drainpipe, which has a thick, icicle like covering. As its sunny today I went out to look, and there it was! Water trickling down underneath the ice. Sadly it was a bit boring compared to your tree!

13. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

How clever you are magic surf bus - first to have spotted the tree, second to take a video and third to edit it the way you did. MAGIC [​IMG]

14. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hear, hear!
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th, and also the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 18th February
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com
    www.tesweekendworkshop82.eventbrite.com

15. Goldfish and the occasional wandering toad. A big wet dog sometimes...

16. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Nice of you to say so angiebabe, but I carry my camera pretty much everywhere and I've have been a fool to miss a lane full of trees all holding their own icy rave party. It simply didn't work with a still photo.

17. [​IMG] Well done for capturing it MSB! I enjoyed the film...and yes, very lava-lampish!
    It's - 3 in the heart of England. Brrr. It's been a beautifully sunny day though. The ice on the patio just hasn't melted. The cat doesn't want to venture out for long either.

18. Ruthie66

Ruthie66 New commenter

I loved the ice trees MSB. The frost on our lawn only thawed on the bits in direct sunshine so ended up half white and half green. They reckon it is going to be -8 in London tonight so it will be even colder in the countryside.

19. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

I love winter. I love the fact that if no human being can survive outside naked in the freezing temperatures then neither can the germs :)

20. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

It's -7.9 here in Hertfordshire now. Only reached 0.6 all day. Minimum temp last night was -11 Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr