1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Strange phobias?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by polly2, Aug 6, 2011.

1. polly2

polly2 New commenter

Just wondered if I am the only one who has a wierd phobia? Ever since I was little I have hated spots - not spots on your face, spots on clothes, curtains, cuttlery etc. Wierder still I can cope with certain sized spots but others just make me want to cover my mouth. I always feel like touching anything remotely spotty will harm me in some way. I hate children in need as Pusy bear is a nightmare. I went for a meal a few weeks ago at a gorgeous retaurant - food (what I managed) was gorgeous. I will not go back though - you guessed it - the plates were spotty! I do know someone who is freaked out by life buoys but just wondered if we are one of the select few or whether there is anyone else with this strange affliction!!

2. polly2

polly2 New commenter

Just wondered if I am the only one who has a wierd phobia? Ever since I was little I have hated spots - not spots on your face, spots on clothes, curtains, cuttlery etc. Wierder still I can cope with certain sized spots but others just make me want to cover my mouth. I always feel like touching anything remotely spotty will harm me in some way. I hate children in need as Pusy bear is a nightmare. I went for a meal a few weeks ago at a gorgeous retaurant - food (what I managed) was gorgeous. I will not go back though - you guessed it - the plates were spotty! I do know someone who is freaked out by life buoys but just wondered if we are one of the select few or whether there is anyone else with this strange affliction!!

3. I can't watch the 'Borrowers' or anything where the people are too small! Anything that is out of proportion sends me weird. Kenny Everett's large hands sketch is unbearable to watch. I can't explain it even though I understand how phobias happen.

4. Polly2, your phobia is probably rooted in early childhood. You may have had some kind of scare and something spotty was either involved or just there. You have generalised the fear onto anything spotty. Sorry not very helpful to you!

5. polly2

polly2 New commenter

You see I wondered that as the more I think about it the more ridiculous it seems yet it is there all the same. I guess I would love to know if anyone has anything that they don't like that is a bit strange. Your phobia seems quite normal to me - indeed it is not the first time I have heard it!

6. Really! I thought I was a bit freaky! Joking apart you can have a phobia of anything. Fear can be associated with whatever is around at the time. You can get help with this though. It is just a learning response so you can unlearn it. A psychologist can help you associate good feelings when you see spots. It must be really difficult at the moment - spots are really fashionable. Sorry, not taking the mickey.

7. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

My Apple Macbook gives me a huge inferiority complex, despite having worked with computers for many years. It's so smooth and expensive and well-designed, and efficient, and smug, and so bloody Apple. Even the box it came in was of superior quality to the usual plain brown cardboard thing that most PCs arrive in.

It keeps asking me if I want to 'synch' with other smug expensive Apple gadgets that I can't afford, so I don't feel worthy of using it and I'm sure it just sits there sneering at me. Whenever I open it's smooth white self-confident lid a shiver of complete inadequacy runs down my spine, like I've walked into the lobby of a 5 star hotel and the receptionist knows I'm an oik.

It scares me ;-)

8. I can't touch wooden spoons.... I think it comes from childhood... that awful feeling of biting into the wooden stick that held the ice lolly. Even typing now about this, I've got shudders running up my spine, the hairs on the back of my neck are prickling, and my arms have come out in goosebumps! Friends think I'm strange, if I go to their house for dinner and I offer to do the washing up, I have to tell them I can't wash the wooden spoons! I've never met anyone else who feels like this, but I did meet one person who felt the same about hessian. I can touch other bits of wood, have a varnished wooden bookcase, collect firewood quite happily and have some polished wooden decorative vases... but wooden spoons give me the jitters. Not taking the pizz.... I'm absolutely serious... I can't stand them!

9. lrw22

lrw22 Occasional commenter

I'm a bit weird about copper coins. One and two pence pieces make me feel really sick. I can handle them being in my purse and getting them out to pay for stuff but I can't bear see them left around on tables or on the floor or anything. I also have a bit of a problem with gold jewellery, it also makes me feel sick and can't stand the thought of touching it.

Strangely enough I will happily chew a wooden ice lolly stick when I have finished the ice lolly. (Sorry Annie)

10. My little girl is like this too. She's pretty funny about coins in general but the copper ones are the worst for her. I attempted to show her the £4 she's got saved up from the tooth fairies money that's in her money box and she started gagging!
    I don't think I've got any unusual phobias - just wasps. Hate the blighters.

11. Helena Handbasket

Helena Handbasket New commenter

I have a fear of milk, have had since I was little. Never drunk milk since I was weaned apparently. As a kid I was willing to have milk on coco pops and drink chocolate milk but I can't even do that now. I can only drink a milkshake if it is an ice cream one and I can't eat the melted bit of ice cream you get at the bottom of your bowl.
    It extends (but not to the same extent) to yoghurt, mayo and cream.
    I hate walking down the milk aisle in the supermarket, though I ocassionally buy it to make cheese sauce. I hate seeing the bits of condensation on the containers when they are in the fridge. If someone spills milk near me I have to concentrate on my breathing and walk away.
    I used to hate milk time in primary school and can still remember the smell of that tray full of them [​IMG]
    What I really hate is when people have a drink of milk near me and then leave the empty glass on a table. The site of a glass covered in milk residue really disturbs me and freaks me out a little bit. Far more than the original full glass of milk.

12. Oh, God! Just reading that made my entire face prickle and now I'm shuddering all over! Ouch!

13. polly2

polly2 New commenter

Isn't it strange what sort of things freak us out? You see to me everyone's phobias on here so far seem perfectly normal!! Maybe I am just a bit strange!

14. I want to repeat every word Helena said about milk.
    The sight and smell of it - the milk aisle is a personal hell.
    Getting any milky substance on my hands can paralyse me.
    And yes, the dregs are worse than a full serving....

Ach - I have body itches just typing this!

15. anon468

anon468 New commenter

I hate, loathe and detest slugs. Just typing the word has made the bile rise in my mouth.
    Damp summer evenings are Hell for me. [​IMG]

16. elisa1

elisa1 New commenter

Manashe, I am exactly the same!! I cannot cope and the very thought of them makes me heave so so much!!! Mycolleagues thing I'm odd but I cannot cope!!!! I also have a fear of lots of small circles or tessalation, makes me itch!!! Honestly!! I cannot cope with that either its called trypophobia!!!

17. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Yep, everyone else thinks I'm mad too, elisa. I usually try to avoid mentioning it, because folk can't resist regaling me with their horrible (hilarious?) *thing* stories (refuse to type that word again).
    Which will no doubt happen again now I've posted this.
    *sigh*

18. weegoose

weegoose New commenter

I am terrified of butterflies :( it stared off as a moth thing but then kind of grew and now I'm not too bad with moths but the sight of a butterfly will send my screaming in the other direction. Makes me feel sick thinking about them. My best friend is scared of buttons as in clothes buttons. She can't wear blouses or anything like that. Worst for her is a "rogue" button like one that has fallen off something, they make her gag!

19. My phobia is feet!!

Not so much other people's but hate people seeing mine!! OH thinks I'm mad!

20. My teenage daughter is absolutely terrified of hand puppets. My brother has a severe phobia of butterflies. I'm perfectly normal thank you very much, until a spider enters the room.