1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Strange enquiries from TH

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by gainly, Sep 8, 2020.

1. gainly

gainly Star commenter

Recently I've had several enquiries from TH where someone has made what seems to be a genuine enquiry and then almost instantly closed the enquiry. This happens within 1-2 minutes of them sending the enquiry, so they can't possibly have arranged tuition in that time. Has anyone else had this happen?

Teabagkarma likes this.
  2. cwilson1983

cwilson1983 Occasional commenter

Not this, but I have had enquires requesting to tutor a subject I don't teach. I'm guessing they didn't read my profile.

I'd ignore it and move on.

3. Lespaul101

Lespaul101 New commenter

I’ve had some strange requests in the past but not like you describe. Maybe they just changed their mind.

4. gainly

gainly Star commenter

Thanks for replies. I just thought it was odd as it's happened 3 times in the last few weeks.

5. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

Over the last few years, TH has seemed to have gone through some rather ‘flaky’ patches, when strange things start happening. I have had the same thing you describe, when I have answered a ‘your profile has been viewed’ message, I find that the originator has already closed the enquiry, within minutes of opening it. I have also started getting enquiries that are dated up to three years ago. When I follow this up on the TH website, I find that parent last visited it a long while ago.

6. gainly

gainly Star commenter

I haven't had that. That really is odd.

7. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

@gainly : I have just had an enquiry from TH, just as you describe. When I logged on, I saw that the parent had closed the enquiry about two minutes after opening it. I assume something must be wrong with the system.

8. gainly

gainly Star commenter

I wonder if they might be clicking the "Close Enquiry" button by mistake after they've sent their enquiry, thinking that is what they should do. In fact one of the students, who did book lessons with me, mistakenly did that and then found that they couldn't then buy my details. I had to accept them as a student again before they were able to buy them.