1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

strange dog behaviour

Discussion in 'Personal' started by jjcool, Jan 8, 2011.

1. I agree with lardy. Do you have pet insurance? If you do, I would be tempted to think about asking the vet to do some tests to rule out anything more sinister. I really regret that a few years ago, I didn't cotton on to the signs that one of my dogs became much quieter and sleepier and grumpier when the other dogs tried to get her to play more. She was only about 6-turned out she was really poorly with liver cancer.
    I so wish we had got her checked out sooner-she was insured with petplan, so we didn't even have to worry about the cost of any tests.
    Really hope it's nothing serious with your dog CC, but for peace of mind I would always check with the vet sooner rather than later.

2. Yes, the food test is the one I look out for. Any dog going off their food is a bad sign as far as I am concerned - I woud head back to vet and menton concerns. they always ask me 'how is she in herself' - if your vet doesn't seem too concerned, get a second opinion.

3. Thanks for all the replies, mum is going to bring it up with the vet when she goes for her jabs next week.
    Regarding the food, she is fed a special diet food and has been on this for a couple of years and has always been funny about it. At first she refused to eat it but eventually gave in but she still has days where sometimes she will run over and gobble it down and others where it can be left there all day and she wont eat it until the end of the day. Somedays she has 'hungry' days and will eat all of her daily allowance and then take you into the kitchen to 'ask' for more!
    She has never been one to run over to her food as soon as it is put down which I thought was 'normal' until I saw MILs dog who literally cannot wait for his food and its gone in a matter of seconds. So I suppose some dogs are different haha! It might have something to do with the fact she only has dry biscuits which I suppose aren't that exciting.
    We do have insurance so will see what the vet says and whether he sends her for tests. Mum is convinced she has depression! Thanks again.