1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Strange Day

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Laphroig, Oct 18, 2019.

1. Laphroig

Laphroig Lead commenter

Yesterday, I attended what I had been told was an interview but, on arrival, was a day of supply. I was irritated because I don’t do daily supply but I stayed because I was relying on my daughter in law for transport.I enjoyed the school and had a very good day. I left with a job until Christmas, at least. What a strange way to go about things. Anyone else come across this?

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

That's pretty common on supply - always expect the unexpected.

3. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Congratulations on landing the job !!! I can see a good few positives about the experience.. :)
    Good luck with it.

4. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

I found the world of supply to be very strange indeed. I had never been lied to so often nor treated like an idiot on a daily basis. This treatment came from the agency.

5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Congrats... odd way to do it but woo for work!

6. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

Supply teaching occupies a hinterland of its own. Look at any of the threads over on the Supply forum and you will soon understand this!

agathamorse and Laphroig like this.
  7. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

Well done, Laphroig. They obviously were pleased with you.

agathamorse and Laphroig like this.
  8. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

You don't expect supply when invited for an interview. Nor should you.

They were lucky you stayed. I would have said 200 quid for the day and if they refused I would have walked out.

That is one way to describe it. Another would be cheap.

I have heard of such a thing but there was no job offer at the end of their day. There was a bitter complaint about the school.

9. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

I went to one job interview during which I was asked to mark some essays. So were the other six applicants. You might say this was to assess our skills-but did we really have to do this for two hours? I did get offered the job, so I assume it wasn't simply a plan for the department to clear their backlog of marking...

10. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Did they pay you for the day?

11. Jamvic

Jamvic Lead commenter

It may be contentious but personally I’d prefer doing this to suffering through the usual day long, often tedious, interview processes.

I think being observed throughout the day, in the classroom, with the students & staff, in the department, and around the wider school gives all concerned a much better picture of whether you are a suitable fit. It also gives you a more realistic experience of the school and how it operates on an average day. I do think you should have been told in advance that this was the expectation though and paid for the hours you were teaching.

Then you would have lost out on 2 months employment. However, I do think a pre-agreed payment for a day’s work should be made to all candidates if this is how the school chooses to select staff.

bombaysapphire likes this.
  12. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

Congratulations, @Laphroig! The usual experience of a 'supply day interview' is that nobody comes near you all day, or mentions the supposed 'vacancy', and then you leave, having given the school a free day's work!

A variation on this theme is to be told, after your last lesson on a Monday afternoon, that the school is 'interviewing' four other candidates that week, so it will 'let you know'.

Laphroig likes this.
  13. Laphroig

Laphroig Lead commenter

I was paid for the day but I reduced my rate slightly because of thinking it was an interview. I prefer that way of doin* things than the standard and boringly useless traditional interview.

Jamvic likes this.
  14. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

Not the same but reminded me when I first qualified, I stepped out of my age group (early years) and applied for a couple of maths posts. In 3 out of 3, I got called by the school and asked to do supply. Which I did. The 4th one I got the job as the only applicant.

15. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

Tosh. You don't that. They might have bottled it.

16. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

In a sense every day of supply is like an interview, insofar as your potential for future work is being assessed, often by the teaching assistants who'll inevitably report back to the Supply Manager. It's the reason why I always wore a suit on supply, but never in the full-time job.

That said, it doesn't mean that what is billed as an interview has to turn into a day of supply.

BertieBassett2 likes this.