1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

strange conkers

Discussion in 'Personal' started by inky, Nov 4, 2011.

1. inky

inky Lead commenter

There's a tree near us with conkers that are almost as dark as black treacle. Does anyone know anything about this sub-species?

2. inky

inky Lead commenter

If only there were a Botany forum. I know my post is dull but there must be someone out there who's just a little bit interested in conkers...[​IMG]

3. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

There is a disease that has attacked a lot of chestnut trees this year. Could it be that the conkers too are affected by it? I will google.

4. *h*

*h* New commenter

I don't know if this helps... I just did a search and this came up:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/plants/trees/8675208/Champion-trees-of-Britain-and-Ireland.html

"The Indian horse chestnut, A indica, has black conkers that are smaller and wrinklier but it has the bonus of flowering later, in July, which is a bonanza for bees."

5. http://www.bristol.ac.uk/news/2011/7744.html
    Leaf miner moth? Don't think it affects the conkers though. Trees at school are heavily affected by conkers are the same colour as normal.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Bleeding canker, but it doesn't seem to affect the conkers so I think inky's must must come from the tree in the above post. You learn something new every day!

7. inky

inky Lead commenter

Thank you, everyone!
    We're pretty sure it's an Indian HC tree. The only quibble is that the conkers are of a fair size and not small at all.
    Mr inky is feeling smug because he just searched with the same result.
    The skin is not so much wrinkly as leatherette-ish.

We've got two Ginko Biloba trees at the bottom of our road. I saw these weird leaves, did a search and found the tree within a minute.

Isn't google wonderful for this sort of thing?

8. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I saw some beautiful ginkos in the New Forest last weekend whose leaves had turned a luminous yellow.

9. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

The leaf miner moth isn't a disease, just zillions of minute caterpillars nibbling away at the leaves from the inside. Global warming has brought the moths over from foreign parts, and there are no indigineous predators.The moth creates around three generations each year, with trees becoming steadily more affected from bottom to top..
    Infestation will not kill the trees, just cause them to lose leaves earlier, and possibly produce smaller conkers.

10. inky

inky Lead commenter

I first saw it in Normandy around 1990. I couldn't understand why the leaves were browning at the edges in late July.

The Indian conker tree conkers are amazing, by the way. They're a bit leatherette-ish in texture, and the deepest brown.

11. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Bleeding canker finished off the horse chestnut in our front garden. A huge shame as it was grown from a conker that came from a tree in my Mum's garden, which itself had grown from a discarded conker that I was playing with as a child.